|Jurisdiction||Federal government of Mexico|
|Headquarters||Plaza de la República No 148, Col. Tabacalera, México City|
|Parent agency||Secretariat of Health|
The Institute for Social Security and Services for State Workers (Spanish: Instituto de Seguridad y Servicios Sociales de los Trabajadores del Estado, or ISSSTE) is a federal government organization in Mexico that administers part of Mexico's health care and social security systems, and provides assistance in cases of disability, old age, risks in labor, and death (or IVCM, for invalidez, vejez, cesantia en edad avanzada, y muerte) to federal workers. Unlike the Mexican Social Security Institute (or IMSS), which covers workers in the private sector, the ISSSTE is charged with providing benefits for federal government workers only. Together with the IMSS, the ISSSTE provides health coverage for between 55 and 60 percent of the population of Mexico.
Like much of Mexico's health care system, the ISSSTE has been the subject of numerous criticisms and allegations, ranging from corruption to a heavy regional bias in favor of major cities with well organized labor unions.
In addition to ISSSTE, which is exclusive for employees of the federal government, states in Mexico have their own separate health and retirement system for government workers within its own state. For example, the state of Tabasco offers its employees retirement, health, and other similar benefits through an agency called Instituto de Seguridad Social del Estado de Tabasco, or "ISSET".
- Official ISSSTE website (in Spanish)
- Also sometimes rendered in English as the "State Workers Social Security Institute"
- Gerson, Philip R.; Cuevas, Alfredo (1997). Pension Regimes and Saving. Washington, D.C.: International Monetary Fund. pp. appendix III. ISBN 1-55775-640-6.
- Purcell, Susan Kaufman; Rubio-Freidberg, Luis (1998). Mexico Under Zedillo. Lynne Reinner Publishers. p. 81. ISBN 1-55587-315-4.
- Dawson, Alexander (2006). First World Dreams: Mexico Since 1989. Zed Books. pp. 32, 126. ISBN 1-84277-661-4.
- Ley del Instituto de Seguridad Social del Estado de Tabasco*. State Government of the State of Tabasco. Retrieved 2 February 2012.