|In the Shadow of Women|
|French||L'Ombre des femmes|
|Directed by||Philippe Garrel|
|Produced by||Saïd Ben Saïd|
|Written by||Philippe Garrel|
|Music by||Jean-Louis Aubert|
|Edited by||François Gédigier|
|Distributed by||SBS Distribution|
In the Shadow of Women (French: L'Ombre des femmes) is a 2015 French-Swiss drama film directed by Philippe Garrel, starring Clotilde Courau, Stanislas Merhar, and Lena Paugam. It was selected to open the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival. It is the second installment in Garrel's trilogy of love, the first being Jealousy (2013) and the third being Lover for a Day (2017).
A filmmaker Pierre is working on a documentary film about the French Resistance. He is married to Manon. However, he encounters Elisabeth, an intern at a film archive, and has an affair with her.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an 87% approval rating, based on 38 reviews, with an average score of 7.4/10. On Metacritic, the film received an average score of 74, based on 14 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Eric Kohn of IndieWire gave the film a grade of B−, saying, "with its luscious 35mm photography and playful depiction of passionate lovers reaching a breaking point, the swift 72-minute drama delivers a satisfying riff on moody, intimate material Garrel has mined to richer effect many times before." Scott Foundas of Variety described it as "a tightly focused romantic drama that exudes the narrative terseness of a good short story and the lucid craftsmanship of a filmmaker in full command of the medium."
|Award||Year of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Louis Delluc Prize||2015||Best Film||In the Shadow of Women||Nominated|||
|Lumières Award||2016||Best Director||Philippe Garrel||Nominated|||
|Best Actress||Clotilde Courau||Nominated|
- Foundas, Scott (14 May 2015). "Cannes Film Review: 'In the Shadow of Women'". Variety. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "L'Ombre des femmes". JP's Box-Office.
- "In the Shadow of Women". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Cox, Gordon (8 May 2015). "Distrib Films U.S. Grabs Cannes Fortnight Opener 'In the Shadow of Women'". Variety. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Ritman, Alex (15 April 2015). "Cannes: 'In the Shadow of Women' to Open Directors' Fortnight". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Philippe Garrel's "L'Ombre des femmes" to open the 47th annual Directors' Fortnight". Quinzane des Réalisateurs. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Hopewell, John (30 May 2017). "Cannes: MUBI Acquires Philippe Garrel's 'Lover for A Day' for U.S., U.K. (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Lemercier, Fabien (15 April 2015). "In the Shadow of Women to open the Directors' Fortnight". Cineuropa. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Lemercier, Fabien (27 May 2015). "n the Shadow of Women: A fourth French film from Cannes in theatres". Cineuropa. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "In The Shadow of Women". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "In the Shadow of Women". Metacritic. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Kohn, Eric (14 May 2015). "Cannes Review: Phillipe Garrel's 'In the Shadow of Women' is Charming, But We've Seen This Movie Before". IndieWire. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Top Ten 2015, Décembre 2015 n°717". Cahiers du cinéma. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Prix Louis-Delluc 2015 : découvrez les nominations". Télérama. 27 November 2015.
- "Prix Lumières 2016 : Trois souvenirs de ma jeunesse et Mustang en tête des nominations". AlloCiné. 4 January 2016.