|Word/name||Unknown, possibly Celtic or Germanic|
|Meaning||Unknown, possibly "maiden" or "girl"|
|Region of origin||England|
|Related names||Imogene, Innogen (Ignoge, Inogene), Immy or Imi (nickname)|
Imogen (//), or Imogene (//), is an English-language female given name of uncertain etymology. It is chiefly used as a given name in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and Switzerland. The spelling Imogene predominates in the English-speaking West Indies.
It is possible that the name Imogen may have originated as an accidental or purposeful misspelling of the name Innogen, itself a possible common Celtic name meaning "maiden" or "girl". Innogen is known as the name of a legendary British queen and was supposedly wife to King Brutus and mother of Locrinus, Albanactus and Camber. The form Innogen is rare.
In Australia, Imogen was the 35th most popular girls name from 2011 to 2013, while in England and Wales it was the 34th most popular baby girl name in 2014. As of July 2014, Imogen had never been in the top 1000 most popular baby names in the United States, with only 131 baby girls named Imogen in the US in 2013. It was ranked 86th in popularity for baby girls in Scotland in 2007.
List of known Imogens
- Imogen Annesley (born 1970), Australian actress
- Imogen Bailey (born 1977), Australian model, actress and singer
- Imogen Bankier (born 1987), Scottish badminton player
- Imogen Boorman (born 1971), British actress from Hellbound: Hellraiser II
- Imogen Cairns (born 1989), British gymnast
- Imogene Coca (born 1908), American comic actress
- Imogen Cooper (born 1949), English pianist
- Imogen Cunningham (born 1883), American photographer
- Imogen Edwards-Jones (born 1968), British author
- Imogen Hassall (born 1942), British actress
- Imogen Heap (born 1977), English singer-songwriter
- Imogen Holst (born 1907), British composer and conductor
- Imogen Kogge (born 1957), German actress
- Imogen Lloyd Webber (born 1977), British writer and theatre manager
- Imogen Murphy, Irish film and television director
- Imogen Poots (born 1989), British actress
- Imogen Stuart (born 1927), German sculptor
- Imogen Stubbs (born 1961), English actress
- Imogen Thomas (born 1982), Welsh model and contestant on Big Brother UK
- Imogen Purdy (born 1994), Cornish model from England
- Imogen Waterhouse (born 1994), English actress and model
- Imogen (Shakespeare) from William Shakespeare's play Cymbeline
- Imogene, from Vincenzo Bellini's 1827 opera Il pirata
- Imogen, a character from Psyopus' 3-part song "Imogen's Puzzle"
- Imogen, portrayed by Julia Stiles in the comedy Down to You
- Imogen, from the book Bad Dreams by Anne Fine
- Imogen, from the book Imogen by Jilly Cooper
- Imogen, Angus' younger sister in the Australian children's novel Bumface written by Morris Gleitzman
- Imogene, from Barbara Robinson's children's story The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- Imogen, daughter of Winifred Dartie (née Forsyte), from The Forsyte Saga
- Imogene, from Charles De Lint's The Blue Girl and In This Soul of a Woman
- Imogene "Idgie" Threadgoode, from Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
- Imogen, from Jonathan Coe's novel The Rain Before It Falls
- Imogen, from BBC's British children's television comedy-drama series Sadie J
- Imogen Book, from Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox
- Imogene O'Neil, heroine of Meteor (TV miniseries) (2009), played by Marla Sokoloff
- Imogen Melford, one of the four Melford sisters in Diana Wynne Jones's The Time of the Ghost
- Imogen Moreno, in the Canadian drama Degrassi
- Imogen Hazard, one of many twin girls in Angela Carter's 1991 book Wise Children
- Imogen, a character played by Louisa Lytton in the 2009 teen comedy American Pie Presents: The Book of Love
- Imogen Herondale, a character in The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
- Imogène, from Charles Exbrayat's series of humorous novels
- Aunt Imogene, from the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland portrayed by Frances de la Tour
- Imogene, Trixie Delight's maid in Addie Pray by Joe David Brown, also appearing in the film Paper Moon based on the novel
- Imogene Graham, a major character in Indian Summer (novel) (1886) by William Dean Howells
- Imogen, the principal female character in the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen
- Imogen, from Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
- Imogen Clark, a minor character in What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge.
- Imogen Reed, from the video game SOMA
- Imogene secondary character from "Marjorie Morningstar" by Herman Wouk (Chapter 28)
- Imogen, from Imogen Says Nothing, a play by Aditi Kapil
- Imogene Cleary, from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, an Amazon original TV series. Played by Bailey De Young
- Imogen Staxton-Billing, from the Revengers' Comedies plays and Malcolm Mowbray's 1998 film "Sweet Revenge" played by Kristin Scott Thomas.
- Imogene Duncan, from the 2012 film Girl Most Likely, played by Kristen Wiig
- Imogen Spurnrose, from the Amazon original series Carnival Row, played by Tamzin Merchant
- Norman, Teresa (2003). A World of Baby Names. Penguin. p. 131.
- John Pitcher, 'Names in Cymbeline', Essays in Criticism, v. 43(1), 1993, specifically pp. 3–8; subscription required.
- Marjorie Chibnall, ed. (1990). Anglo-Norman Studies XIII: Proceedings of the Battle Conference. p. 168.
- Sullivan, Rebecca (5 May 2015). "Australia's top 10 baby names". News.com.au. News Corp Australia. Archived from the original on 6 December 2015.
- "The 100 most popular baby names in England and Wales in 2014 – the full list". The Guardian. 17 August 2015. Archived from the original on 23 September 2016.
- Redmond Satran, Pamela (9 July 2014). "The most popular baby names of 2014 so far are..." Today Parents. Archived from the original on 1 April 2016.
- Behind the Name
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|