|Regions with significant populations|
|Christianity, Traditional religion|
The Ika people are a people located in Ika South and Ika North East Local Government of Delta State and Orihionmwon local government of Edo State. The Ika people primary make up the communities of Agbor, Owa, Umunede, Olubor' Emuhu, Abavo, Orogodo, Otolokpo, Igbodo, Ute-Okpu, Ute-Ogbeje, Idumuesah, Ogwashi-uku, Ekpon , Igbanke, Oligie (Edo State), Inyelen (Edo State), Iru (Edo State). Ika is one of the Igbo subgroups in Delta state and it's small population is found in Edo State.
Geographically, the Ika speaking people are found in the north west of Delta State. They share borders in the East with the Aniocha, in the south with the Ukwuani, in the north with the Ishan and in the west with the Edo. Politically, Ika speakers are mainly found in two local government areas, Ika North East and Ika South local government areas, both created in 1991 from a single Ika Local Government Area, in Delta State. Ika South and Ika North East local government areas, occupy a land area of 117.45 square kilometres (Delta State Government website, 1999) with a population of about 240,000 people.
Ika is an Igboid language.
The Ika people are of a variety of different origins depending on the specific town or localities in question. The Ika people have ancestry stemming mainly from the South Eastern Nigeria.
The Ika people are predominantly Christians. Some Ika people also practice their traditional Olokun/epentu worship. Ika people refer to God as Chukwu.
The Ika (of Delta and Edo state) boast of being the home to the sweetest African palmwine. The people of Ika are mostly farmers and the wealthiest engage in palm kernel business with red oil extraction or other forms such as palm wine tapping & garri exports. Ika people are also well known in academia, business tycoons & civil servants. Ika people are one of the most educated peoples in Delta and Edo State. Most indigenous Ika people can be found in all countries overseas & there is frequent influx of funds from indigene abroad back home for business investments, real estate & agriculture.
Ika culture is strongly related to that of Igbo and Edo though majorly Igbo.
Prominent Ika people
- David Ojei & Sunny Egede, Business Tycoons, Owners of the Prince Ebeano Supermarket Franchise
- Nduka Obaigbena, founder of ThisDay Newspapers, AriseTV/Network, Arise Fashion Show Lagos
- Jim Ovia, Nigerian business man ; founder of Zenith Bank
- Godwin Emefiele, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria
- Ifeanyi Okowa, Delta State Governor 2015-till date
- Prince Fredoo Perry, founder of Waplodge, IkaTv, Dailytrendtv (Nigeria Youngest Promoter)
- General Leo Irabor, Chief of Defence Staff 2021-till date
- Sunday Oliseh Ex Nigerian football player
- Dumebi Iyamah Owner of the “Andrea Iyamah” International Fashion Brand
- Somkele Iyamah Model, Movie Star, Director & Producer