This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ian K. Smith, M.D.
|Born||July 15, 1969|
Danbury, Connecticut, U.S.
Ian K. Smith, M.D. (born July 15, 1969) is an American physician and author best known for his appearances on VH1's Celebrity Fit Club series, The View, and as a correspondent for NBC News. He is also the host of HealthWatch with Dr. Ian Smith, a nationally syndicated daily news feature heard on American Urban Radio Networks. He resides in Chicago. On January 11, 2016, Smith revealed on the "Opie with Jim Norton" show that his third cousin was Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, whom he had also never met.
Smith, a native of Danbury, Connecticut, graduated from Immaculate High School (Danbury), received a Bachelor of Arts from Harvard College in 1992, and a master’s in science education from Columbia University in 1993.
In April 2007, Dr. Ian Smith launched the 50 Million Pound Challenge. The challenge is a national health initiative encouraging people to come together and take control of their health by getting fit, losing excess weight and turning back the deadly toll of weight-related diseases that threaten nearly half of Americans. The Challenge is a free campaign supported by national civic and health organizations. It is helping cities, civic groups, friends and families team up to help reverse the epidemic of excess weight and create a culture of healthier living.
Smith has written a dozen books including The Fat Smash Diet, a 90-day diet program that focuses on "smashing" bad eating and exercise habits and establishing new healthy ones. His book Happy was released in April 2010. His book The Truth About Men was released in April 2012, Shred: The Revolutionary Diet was released in December 2012, and Super Shred: The Big Results Diet was published in December 2013. Additionally, Dr. Ian founded the 50 Million Pounds website. The website developed a partnership with CVS Pharmacy, among other companies. In 2015, Smith published The Shred Diet Cookbook and The Shred Power Cleanse.
In partnership with CVS, the 50 Million Pound Challenge will participate in a series of free community health events in urban communities across the country. CVS will host over 250 "To Your Health" fairs in Atlanta, Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia, providing comprehensive health risk assessments and screenings including diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and osteoporosis.
Dr. Ian has appeared extensively on various broadcasts including “The View,” “The Tyra Banks Show,” “Larry King Live,” “Anderson Cooper 360,” “Showbiz Tonight,” “The Verdict with Dan Abrams,” "Rachael Ray Show," and "The Opie and Anthony Show." He has written for Time, Newsweek, Men’s Health, and the New York Daily News, and has been featured in other publications including People, Essence, Ebony, Cosmopolitan, and University of Chicago Medicine on the Midway.
Dr. Ian's July 2010 newsletter on the 50 Million Pounds website revealed that he was appointed to the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. This committee advises the President about opportunities to develop physical activity, fitness, sports and nutrition programs for all Americans regardless of age, background or ability.
- The Take-Control Diet (2001) ISBN 9780375507304
- The Fat Smash Diet (2006) ISBN 9780312363130
- Extreme Fat Smash Diet (2007) ISBN 9780312371203
- The 4 Day Diet (2009) ISBN 9780312605599
- Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life (2010) ISBN 9780312672775
- EAT: The Effortless Weight Loss Solution (2011) ISBN��9781250004284
- Shred: The Revolutionary Diet (2012) ISBN 9781250035868
- The Truth About Men: The Secret Side of the Opposite Sex (2012) ISBN 9781250025111
- Super Shred: The Big Results Diet (2013) ISBN 9781250044532
- The Shred Diet Cookbook (2015) ISBN 9781250061218
- The Shred Power Cleanse (2015) ISBN 9781250061225
- Blast the Sugar Out! (2017) ISBN 9781250130136
- The Clean 20 (2018) ISBN 9781250182074
- Clean and Lean (2019) ISBN 9781250114945
Fiction (As Ian Smith)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2010-07-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.urblife.com/the-edge/dr-ian-smith-talks-happy/ Dr. Ian Smith Talks Happy! Tips on Career and Life Happiness from New Book! | UrbLife.com
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-07-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2010-07-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)