|"I Want You to Need Me"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album All the Way... A Decade of Song|
|Released||15 July 2000|
|Recorded||1998–1999 Paradise Sounds, Record Plant Studios, The Hit Factory|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"I Want You to Need Me" is the last single from Celine Dion's greatest hits album, All the Way... A Decade of Song, released on 15 July 2000. It was written by Diane Warren, who also wrote Dion's hit "Because You Loved Me" among others. Several club remixes were created by Thunderpuss.
Background and release
"I Want You to Need Me"'s second music video was directed by Liz Friedlander and released on 1 May 2000. It was included on Dion's All the Way... A Decade of Song & Video DVD. The first video, directed by Paul Hunter in February 2000, was never released. However, a behind-the-scenes video of the first music video was uploaded to YouTube on 8 August 2013.
The song reached number 1 in Canada (for 1 week) and number 7 on the Hot Dance Singles Sales in the United States. While it did not enter the Hot 100 in the United States, it became popular on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks, peaking at number 12. "I Want You to Need Me" reached also top 40 in Sweden and Switzerland. The US CD single was released as a double A-side with "That's the Way It Is". According to Nielsen SoundScan it has sold 60,000 copies in the US.
Chuck Taylor reviewed "I Want You to Need Me" and wrote that linking Dion and Diane Warren has always been about "as fine a fit as a trusty pair of Thom McAn's." Between Warren's "heart-drenched" words and dramatic melody writing and Dion's "potent vocals straight from soulside, divadom has never sounded so mighty." According to him, for fans of Dion's "high-caliber" power ballads, this is truly among the best ever and a highlight on All the Way... A Decade of Song. Longing for romantic attention, Dion sings, "I want you to need me, like the air you breathe/I want you to feel me, in everything/I want you to see me, in your every dream/The way that I taste you, feel you, breathe you, need you." Taylor stated that Warren's trusty melody is wholly natural and free-flowing, while production from the usually rock-oriented Matt Serletic is "sheer perfection. It all peaks from the glorious midsection through to the end, where Dion delivers exactly what we've come to expect: a crescendo as "spine-tingling" as those first few times we heard 'My Heart Will Go On.'" Michael Paoletta from Billboard wrote about this song "a consummate love song ripe for a second single". Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic said that "this song isn't bad it just isn't that particularly memorable, especially compared to the hits."  Jose F. Promis reviewed the US CD maxi single and gave it 3 out 5 stars. He called the mixes "impassioned, high-NRG Thunderpuss remixes (...) which became something of an underground club hit. That song, in its original form, is a big bombastic ballad (and isn't on this disc), and is precisely the type of grand ballad that lends itself effortlessly to dancefloor transformation. However, the dance mixes can be a bit loud and a bit strident for those not into this sort of thing."
Formats and track listings
European CD single
European CD maxi single
Japanese CD maxi single
Japanese CD maxi single #2
US CD maxi single
- "I Want You to Need Me" (Thunderpuss radio mix) – 4:32
- "I Want You to Need Me" (Thunderpuss club mix) – 8:10
- "I Want You to Need Me" (Thunderpuss tribapella) – 7:41
- "I Want You to Need Me" (Thunderpuss instrumental) – 8:12
- "I Want You to Need Me" (Thunderdub) – 6:43
- "I Want You to Need Me" (album version) – 4:34
|Japan||5 April 2000||CD|
|19 July 2000|
|United States||1 August 2000|
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (22 April 2000). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (13 November 1999). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- "All the Way: A Decade of Song - Céline Dion | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Album Search for "thats the way it is us cd"". AllMusic. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Sam Jaspers (2006). Ultratop 1995-2005. Book & Media Publishing. ISBN 90-5720-232-8.
- "Hits of the World" (PDF). Billboard. 8 July 2000. p. 46. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 7295." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Céline Dion – I Want You to Need Me" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Norwegian Airplay Chart". VG-lista. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Major Market Airplay: Poland" (PDF). Music & Media. 1 July 2000. p. 23. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Palmarès de la chanson anglophone et allophone au Québec" (in French). BAnQ. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Céline Dion – I Want You to Need Me". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Swisscharts.com – Céline Dion – I Want You to Need Me". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Celine Dion Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Dance Singles Sales". Billboard. 19 August 2000. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Hot Singles Sales". Billboard. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "The Year in Music" (PDF). Billboard. 30 December 2000. p. 60. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Celine Dion – I Want You to Need Me". Discogs. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Celine Dion – I Want You to Need Me (The Re-Mixes)" (in Japanese). Sony Music Entertainment Japan. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Celine Dion – That's the Way It Is". Discogs. Retrieved 23 February 2017.