This article does not cite any sources. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
IP over DVB or IP over MPEG implies that Internet Protocol datagrams are transferred over the MPEG transport stream, and are distributed using some digital television system, for example DVB-H, DVB-T, DVB-S or DVB-C.
- Data broadcast (datacast), for example a data carousel sending programme information and media over and over again.
- IP Multicast, for sending media efficiently to a limited group of subscribing users, using only the transmitter towers where users for the moment are situated.
- interactive TV services
- To provide internet access by utilizing the DVB system as a broadband downlink, in combination with some narrow-band duplex system. Examples:
All services except the first requires some kind of return channel.
Protocols for IP over MPEG transport stream
- MPEG Multiprotocol encapsulation (MPE), or ETSI-DAT. EN 301 192, "Specifications for Data Broadcasting", European Telecommunications Standards Institute(ETSI), 2004.
- MPEG Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) (RFC 4326)
- Unidirectional link (UDE)
- DVB-H IP datacasting IPDC
- DVB-MHP (Multimedia Home Platform)