|Parent company||Bloomsbury Publishing|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Distribution||Macmillan Publishers (UK)|
Baker & Taylor (US)
|Nonfiction topics||Art, Biography, Geography, History (Medieval and Modern), Middle East, Philosophy, Politics, International Relations, Religion, Travel, Visual culture|
I.B. Tauris (usually typeset as I.B.Tauris) was an independent publishing house with offices in London and New York City. In May 2018 it was purchased by Bloomsbury Publishing. The I.B.Tauris brand will be kept as an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing.
I.B.Tauris was founded in 1983. Its declared strategy was to fill the perceived gap between trade publishing houses and university presses—that is, to publish serious but accessible works on international politics and culture. The company specialised in its early days on publishing on the Middle East.
The publisher now specialises in non-fiction books on art, history (medieval and modern), politics and International Relations, the Middle East and Islamic world generally, religion, geography and environment, and visual culture (including film, photography and contemporary art). Its books are aimed primarily at the specialist market including academics and students. However, because of strong current interest in its preferred topics, the company also sells to a general audience. In the period following the September 11 attacks, for example, its publication Taliban by Ahmed Rashid is reported to have sold nearly 500,000 copies in English worldwide with 27 licensed editions internationally.
Tauris Parke Paperbacks is a paperback imprint of the firm that concentrates on travel writing, popular history and biography.
In June 2013, the company announced an agreement with the American University in Cairo Press (AUCP) under which I.B. Tauris distributes all AUCP publications worldwide outside North America and Egypt. The two publishing houses also embarked on a series of international co-publications. This move was reportedly in line with an I.B.Tauris strategy to be the dominant player in international Middle East Studies publishing.
- "Macmillan Distribution - Publishers". Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "The 2016 Book Distributors Profiles - Publishing Trends". Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "Baker & Taylor Launches Publisher Services Business". Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Zeitchik, Steven (7 January 2002). "Mideast Studies House Hits Its Stride". Publishers Weekly. Reed Business Information. Archived from the original on 2008-07-24. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- Bagherzade, Iradj; The Book Depository. "Publisher of the week—IB Tauris". Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- McDonnell, Jonathan (6 October 2004). "Hardlines in the headlines". The Bookseller. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- Page, Benedicte (9 May 2011). "I B Tauris buys PWP". The Bookseller. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Bookseller Staff (26 June 2013). "I B Tauris links with AUCP". The Bookseller. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "Bloomsbury Buys IB Tauris". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- "I.B.Tauris Publishers". Retrieved 2018-07-08.}