|"I'm the Man"|
|Single by Joe Jackson|
|from the album I'm the Man|
|Format||7" 45-RPM single|
TW Studios, Fulham, London
|Genre||New wave, spiv rock|
|Joe Jackson singles chronology|
"I'm the Man" is a fast paced rocker, described by AllMusic critic Tom Maginnis as "a [taut] ball of nervy new wave pop, tumbling straight ahead at breakneck speeds, while Jackson plays the role of media-savvy flimflam man, willing to promote any latest fad for a buck, like the shady street vendor of trinkets he portrays on the front cover." He also said that the song "follows squarely in the footprints of 'Got the Time' and 'Throw It Away' from Look Sharp!".
Critic Mike DeGagne of AllMusic said that "the frantic 'I'm the Man' showcases Jackson at his most frenzied, as a freight train's worth of lyrics pile haphazardly into one another alongside a wonderfully hysteric rhythm. Not only does the track show off Jackson's free-range ability, but his sense of humor arises once again, following in the footsteps of Look Sharp!'s 'Is She Really Going Out with Him?.'" According to Paste Magazine, the song "reference[s] the 'shark-mania' that was still prevalent following the film Jaws".
"I'm the Man" was released as the lead single from I'm the Man in 1979, backed with the Chuck Berry track, "Come On." The song, despite hitting number 23 in Canada, did not find much chart success, failing to chart in both America and Britain. Its follow-up, "It's Different for Girls," was more successful, becoming a top 10 hit for Jackson.
Despite not being a commercial hit, the song has appeared on multiple compilation albums, including Stepping Out: The Very Best of Joe Jackson and This Is It! (The A&M Years 1979–1989). It appeared in live form on the album Live 1980/86. Another live version of the song was released on a bonus CD with Jackson's 2003 album Volume 4.
- Tom Maginnis. "I'm the Man - Joe Jackson | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- Mike DeGagne. "I'm the Man - Joe Jackson | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out With Him?: Palladium (New York, NY), 09/29/1979". Paste Magazine. Wolfgang's Vault. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Joe Jackson Turns Up 'Volume' With Original Band". Billboard. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-15.