|Single by Toni Braxton and Babyface|
|from the album Love, Marriage & Divorce|
|Released||August 17, 2013|
|Producer(s)||Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds|
|Toni Braxton singles chronology|
|Babyface singles chronology|
"Hurt You" is a song by American recording artists Toni Braxton and Babyface. It was written by Braxton and Babyface along with Daryl Simmons and Antonio Dixon for their collaborative studio album Love, Marriage & Divorce (2014), while production was helmed by Babyface. The song was released on August 17, 2013 as the lead single from the album. It topped the US Adult R&B Songs and was ranked fifth on the chart's year-end listing.
During early February 2013, Braxton appeared on Good Morning America and The Wendy Williams Show to promote her new movie role in the Lifetime Movie Twist of Faith, also confirming the rumors of her retirement, revealing that she was retiring from music and stating that she would like to focus on acting: "I have to do shows here and there, but I'm not gonna do any albums, I'm falling out of love with it, it's weird. I don't know what to say when I hear songs. They don't impact me. I've been trying to listen to songs, record companies have been calling me, so it's a good situation to be in, but I'm not really interested at all". Months later in June 2013, Braxton announced that she was returning to music with a Summer Tour and that she was in the studio working on her eighth studio album after a number of singers and friends including Anita Baker, Prince, and Missy Elliott had reached out to her not to retire the music business.
"Hurt You" debuted at number 17 on the US Billboard Adult R&B Songs chart on September 7, 2013, later rising to the number 1 spot on December 14, 2013 for four weeks. The song spent 41 weeks on the Adult R&B Songs chart before exiting the Top 20 Chart. This marked Braxton's seventh chart topper on the Adult R&B Songs chart and first since her 2000 release "Just Be a Man About It." The song also hit number 16 on Billboard Hot R&B/Hip Hop Airplay chart.
The music video for "Hurt You" was directed by Norwegian director Ray Kay. It was premiered on October 11, 2013 on Braxton and Babyface's joint Vevo account on YouTube. The video is a representation of the track that tells about the hardships of being in a relationship. The clip opens up with Braxton and Babyface in two different rooms, which are separated by a wall. They both manage to break through the wall to express their desire to start all over again.
Braxton and Babyface appeared on The Arsenio Hall Show on November 22, 2013, performing "Hurt You." They also appeared on The Steve Harvey Morning Show on February 3, 2014 and The Ellen Degeneres Show on May 9, 2014, also performing "Hurt You."
- "Hurt You" – 4:11
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Love, Marriage & Divorce.
- Paul Boutin – mixing, recording
- Toni Braxton – vocals, writer
- Antonio Dixon – writer
- Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds – guitar, producer, vocals, writer
- Daryl Simmons – vocal producer, writer
- "New Music: Toni Braxton & Babyface – 'Hurt You'". Rap-Up.com. August 17, 2013. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- "News | Toni Braxton & Babyface Unite For Duet Album, Can The Duo Make A Hit Again?". Singersroom. June 11, 2013. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "2014 Year End Chart: US Adult R&B Songs". Billboard. Retrieved August 29, 2020.
- "Toni Braxton Retiring From Music to Focus on Film Career". E! Online. February 11, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Is Toni Braxton Done With Singing?". YouTube. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Miss Elliott Urges Toni Braxton to Return to Music". Rap Up. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Adult R&B Songs & Music Chart Billboard". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- "Toni Braxton Chart History (Adult R&B Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 29, 2020.
- "Adult R&B Songs & Music Chart Billboard June 14, 2014". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Toni Braxton and Babyface's 'Hurt You' Hits No.1 on Two Charts". Singersroom. December 11, 2013.
- "Toni Braxton : Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- "Toni Braxton Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved August 29, 2020.
- "Toni Braxton, Babyface - Hurt You". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Toni Braxton & Babyface Perform 'Hurt You'". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Toni Braxton and Babyface Edmonds - Hurt You - Live Steve Harvey Morning Show Performance". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Toni Braxton and Babyface Perform 'Hurt You'". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "Hurt You". Amazon (DE). Retrieved August 29, 2020.
- Love, Marriage & Divorce (Media notes). Toni Braxton, Babyface. Motown Records. 2014.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Toni Braxton Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved August 29, 2020.