|Hughes High School|
310 College Street
|School type||Public comprehensive|
|Closed||July 1, 2015|
|School district||Hughes School District|
|NCES School ID||050801000520|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.57|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core|
|Classes offered||Regular, Advanced Placement (AP)|
|Campus type||Rural; distant|
|Color(s)|| Royal blue|
|Athletics conference||1A 1 West (2012–14)|
|Team name||Hughes Blue Devils|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
Hughes High School (HHS) was an accredited comprehensive public middle and high school located in Hughes, Arkansas, a part of the Hughes School District, until its entire school district was closed due to declining enrollment in 2015. The Hughes High School mascot for academic and athletic teams was the Blue Devil with royal blue and white serving as the school colors.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2020)
Most middle school-aged students moved to West Junior High School, and most high school students were moved to Academies of West Memphis (formerly West Memphis High School). The West Memphis district took possession of the school buildings, then gave them to the Hughes municipal government in 2016. The high school gymnasium was leased at no cost to the chief of police and Hughes High alumnus Deon Lee, who made it into an after school center, spending about $3,000 on cleanup.
In 2015 the State of Arkansas rated the school a "C" in its academic accountability rules.
- Gus Malzahn, head football coach from 1992 to 1994
- Mark R. Martin (1986), Secretary of State of Arkansas since 2011; member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from Washington County from 2005 to 2011; resident of Prairie Grove in Washington County
- Saul Rogovin, teacher, Major League Baseball pitcher; 1951 AL ERA leader
- "Search for Public Schools - ST. Paul High School (050801000520)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): St. Francis County, AR" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 14, 2018. Note: Since the production of the map, the Hughes School District merged into the West Memphis school district in 2015
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Crittenden County, AR" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 14, 2018. Note: Since the production of the map, the Hughes School District merged into the West Memphis school district in 2015
- "Hughes Arkansas Schools ordered to merge with West Memphis School District". WREG. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Ed Board votes to consolidate Hughes, West Memphis districts". Arkansas News. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Superville, Denisa R. (June 7, 2017). "When a Community Loses Its Schools". Education Week. Retrieved April 12, 2020.
- "Mark Martin Biography". Arkansas Secretary of State. Retrieved December 10, 2013.