|Hopewell Valley Regional School District|
|425 South Main Street|
Pennington, NJ 08534
|Superintendent||Dr. Thomas A. Smith|
|Business administrator||Robert W. Colavita Jr.|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||3,676 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||I|
The Hopewell Valley Regional School District is a comprehensive regional public school district serving students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade from three communities in Mercer County, New Jersey, United States. The municipalities that are part of this district are Hopewell Borough, Hopewell Township and Pennington Borough.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "I", the second-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards and recognition
In 2011, the district was named to the College Board's AP Honor Roll. The honor roll consists of the 388 U.S. public school districts that simultaneously achieved increases in access to AP courses for a broader number of students and also maintained or improved the rated at which their AP students earned scores of 3 or higher on an AP Exam.
In 2004, the district was named to the American Music Conference's list of the "Best 100 Communities for Music Education in New Jersey". The district has been recognized repeatedly for the high-caliber music and performing arts programs it offers.
The district's high school was the 38th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 322 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2010 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 39th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The magazine took into account factors such as class size, teachers with advanced degrees, and socioeconomic factors.
- Elementary schools
- Bear Tavern Elementary School (392 students; in grades PreK-5)
- Christopher Turnbull, Principal
- Hopewell Elementary School (419; PreK-5)
- David Friedrich, Principal
- Stony Brook Elementary School (435; K-5)
- Steven Wilfing, Principal
- Toll Gate Grammar School (289; K-5)
- Jane-Ellen Lennon, Principal
- Middle school
- Timberlane Middle School with 852 students in grades 6-8
- Nicole Gianfredi, Principal
- Melissa Lauri, Vice Principal
- Robert Nosari, Vice Principal
- High school
- Hopewell Valley Central High School with an enrollment of 1,489 students in grades 9 - 12
- Tana Smith, Principal
- Scott Brettell, Vice Principal
- Patricia Pinelli, Vice Principal
Core members of the district's administration are:
- Dr. Thomas A. Smith, Superintendent
- Anthony Suozzo, Assistant Superintendent
- Robert W. Colavita Jr., Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Dr. Rosetta Treece, Director of Curriculum and Instruction
- Paulette DiNardo, Director of Pupil Services
Board of education
The Board of Education, who are elected by the Hopewell Valley community, is composed of the following nine-members:
- Alyce Murray, President
- Adam J. Sawicki Jr., Vice President
- Debbie Linthorst, Hopewell Township
- Michael Markulec, Hopewell Township
- Peter DiDonato, Hopewell Township
- Sarah Tracy, Hopewell Township
- Deb O'Reilly, Hopewell Township
- Jenny Long, Pennington Borough
- Susan Pollara, Hopewell Borough
According to Business Practice 9000, the local board of education has full power to operate the local public schools in compliance with state and federal mandates and pertinent to the laws of the municipality. The board functions as a corporate body only when in session.
The board of education sees these as its required functions:
- Policy Making
- Provision of Executive Resources
- Educational Planning
- Financial Resource Provisioning
- Dispute Resolution
- District information for Hopewell Valley Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Hopewell Valley Regional School District 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 25, 2017. "Hopewell Valley serves the two boroughs of Pennington and Hopewell and the much larger Hopewell Township, and encompasses a total area of nearly 60 square miles with a population that exceeds 20,000. There are six schools that comprise the district. (Four elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school.) District enrollment is currently 3,750 students."
- About Us, Hopewell Valley Regional High School. Accessed September 25, 2017. "Hopewell Valley Regional School District, as it functions today, has been a regionalized operation since 1965 when voters of Hopewell Township, Hopewell Borough and Pennington Borough approved a plan to consolidate their schools. But the first consolidation of local schools actually occurred in 1894 when the 14 separate districts, operating one-room schoolhouses throughout the valley, agreed to merge and be governed by a single school board."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 8, 2009.
- 2011 AP District of the Year Awards, College Board. Accessed September 1, 2014.
- "Nationwide Survey Finds the 'Best Communities for Music Education' in U.S.", NAMM, April 16, 2009. Accessed November 13, 2009.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed April 2, 2011.
- School Data for the Hopewell Valley Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Hopewell Valley Regional School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Bear Tavern Elementary School, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Hopewell Elementary School, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Stony Brook Elementary School, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Toll Gate Grammar School, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Timberlane Middle School, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Hopewell Valley Central High School, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Mercer County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Office of the Superintendent, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Business Office, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Board Members, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 1, 2014.
- Business Practice 9000 Archived 2008-11-16 at the Wayback Machine, Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Accessed September 1, 2014.