This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Building at Women's College
|Principal||Dr. Sumita Bajpai|
|Affiliations||University of Burdwan|
|Website||Hooghly Women's College|
Hooghly Women's College, established in 1949, is a women's arts and sciences college located in the Hooghly district of West Bengal, India. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, commerce and sciences. It is affiliated to University of Burdwan. Hooghly Women's College is the sixth academic institution in the district and is the first women's college of the district and also is the largest Women's College of Burdwan University.
The initial effort to found a women's college in Hoog. Some local educationists and social reformists made an active endeavor to set up Hooghly Women's College to cater education for women. Sri Nripendranath Dhar, a renowned advocate and educationist was the pioneer in this field. Other figures, inspired by the some missionary zeal joined them. Hooghly Women's College thus started pulsating in the little concrete structure named Mission House” with only 17 students in Chinsurah Maidan in the banks of River Ganga in a day in the year 1943. Unfortunately if came to an abrupt halt as university recognition did not come in time.
After the Independence of India, in 1948, the Government of West Bengal adopted policies and programs to spread women's education. Thus under the benevolent effort of Bengal Mission, a wing of Scotland Church, classes of first year started on 1 August 1949, with only 41 students and four teachers in the tiny building of "Mission House". On February 1952, the Chief Minister Bidhan Chandra Roy inaugurated the new buildings. The first Principal to grace the chair of Hooghly Women's College was Sri Kalipada Mitra.
Principals of the institution
- Sri Kalipada Mitra
- Smt. Santisudha Ghosh, Founder Principal ( 1951–1970 )
- Sm. Sandhyasashi Mukherjee ( 1970–1980 )
- Sm. Anita De ( 1980–2000 )
- Dr. Sumita Bajpai ( Since - 2000 )
- Sm.Santisudha Ghosh, Retd. Principal of the college is renowned " Freedom Fighter".
- Dr.Sumita Bajpai, Principal of the college has received national award as " Young Scientist" from Indian Science Congress Association.
Recently, Hooghly Women's College has been awarded B++ grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The college is also recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- "Affiliated College of University of Burdwan".
- "History". Hooghly Women's College.
- "Institutions Accredited / Re-accredited by NAAC with validity" (PDF). National Assessment and Accreditation Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 May 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- Colleges in WestBengal, University Grants Commission Archived 2011-11-16 at the Wayback Machine