|Hong Kong China Temple|
|Closed for Renovation|
|Dedicated||26 May 1996 by |
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||0.3 acres (0.1 hectares)|
|Floor area||21,744 sq ft (2,020 m2)|
|Height||135 ft (41 m)|
|Preceded by||Bountiful Utah Temple|
|Followed by||Mount Timpanogos Utah Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The LDS Church first sent missionaries to Hong Kong in 1853. Almost 140 years later, in 1992, then-First Counselor in the First Presidency, Gordon B. Hinckley, announced plans to build a temple in the territory. Finding a site on which to build, however, proved difficult, especially given the high cost of real estate in the area. Finally, it was decided that the temple would be built on the site of the existing mission home and chapel.
Because of the land shortage in the territory, the temple had to be 'built up' instead of 'spreading out' to build. This scarcity of space contributed to the unique design of the Hong Kong Temple. The six-story building is designed to house not only the temple, but also a chapel, mission offices, and living quarters for the temple president and several missionaries.
The dedication of the Hong Kong China Temple took place on May 26, 1996. The temple serves church members from parts of India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Mongolia, Guam, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Cambodia, Micronesia, Majuro, and Indonesia. It has a total of 21,744 square feet (2,020.1 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- Tai Kwok Yuen, former temple president
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Hong Kong
- Hawkins, Chad. "The First 100 Temples," 2001, 132-133[full citation needed]
- "Asia Temple Will Close for Renovation: Extensive renovation planned for the Hong Kong China Temple", Newsroom, LDS Church, January 29, 2019
- "Church Releases Hong Kong China Temple Renovation Details", Newsroom, LDS Church, August 6, 2019