|Single by Santana|
|from the album Shangó|
|Length||4:33 (album version)|
3:49 (single version)
|Producer(s)||John Ryan for Chicago Kid Productions|
|Santana singles chronology|
"Hold On" is a song written and first recorded by the Canadian singer and songwriter Ian Thomas, on his 1981 album The Runner.
In 1982 the Latin rock band Santana, featuring lead vocalist Alex Ligertwood, covered the song for their album Shangó. It is the second track on the album and was released as the album's first single. The song reached No. 15 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, making it Santana's tenth most successful US hit. It also peaked at No. 17 on Billboard's Top Tracks chart. On the Cashbox chart, it reached No. 9.
In Canada, "Hold On" peaked at No. 4 for two weeks, becoming their greatest Canadian hit to that date.
The music video, directed by John Mark Robinson, features Carlos Santana at a masquerade ball with his then-wife Deborah King as the intended object of his affection, his band mate Orestes Vilató as his accompanying friend, and actor Henry Darrow as the prize wheel spinner.
- "Santana videography". mvdbase.com. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1982-10-16. Retrieved 2019-03-24.
- "Music lyrics, charts, Games, & more". Top40db.net. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-31.