|Hobart High School|
2211 East 10th Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||School City of Hobart|
|Principal||Misty Scheuneman and Brett Munden|
|Teaching staff||59.51 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.54|
|Color(s)||Purple and gold|
|Fight song||"Our Boys will Shine Tonight" sung to the tune of the Washington and Lee Swing|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Crossroads Conference|
|Mascot||Yohan Petrovich |
|Rivals||Valparaiso High School|
Merrillville High School
Andrean High School
The graduating class of 2009 was the first class to graduate from the school's new building at 2211 East 10th Street. The old high school, located at 36 East 8th Street, became the middle school. That building was built in the late 1950s. Prior to that, the high school students attended Roosevelt School, most recently part of the old junior high school on 4th Street.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,323 students enrolled for the 2015-2016 school year was as follows:
- Male - 49.5%
- Female - 50.5%
- Native American - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 0.6%
- Black - 7.5%
- Hispanic - 22.8%
- White - 65.8%
- Multiracial - 2.8%
The sports teams at Hobart High School are known as the "Brickies", a name derived from the brick yards that were historically located in Hobart and employed many people in the area. The school mascot is a bricklayer named Yohann. Uniform colors are Purple and Gold. Sports offered include:
- Baseball (boys)
- Basketball (boys and girls)
- Cross Country (boys and girls)
- Boys state champs - 1957, 1960.
- Football (boys)
- State champs - 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993.
- Golf (boys and girls)
- Gymnastics (girls)
- State champs - 2004.
- Soccer (boys and girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming (boys and girls)
- Tennis (boys and girls)
- Track (boys and girls)
- Volleyball (girls)
- Wrestling (boys)
- Larry Bigbie - Former MLB player for the Baltimore Orioles, Colorado Rockies and St. Louis Cardinals
- Bob Kuechenberg - Former NFL All-Pro lineman for the Miami Dolphins
- Rudy Kuechenberg - Former NFL linebacker for the Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers and Atlanta Falcons
- Dale Messick - Commercial artist and creator of Brenda Starr
- Craig Osika - Former NFL player
- Gary Primich - Blues musician
- Omar Apollo - R&B musician
- Justice Brent E. Dickson - Supreme Court of Indiana 1986- 2016 (Chief Justice 2012-2014
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Hobart High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 31 March 2020.
- "myIHSAA". www.myihsaa.net. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". advanc-ed.org. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Class of 2009 first to graduate at new Hobart High School". nwi.com. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "2017-18 IHSAA School Directory" (pdf). IHSAA.org. IHSAA. p. 66. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "All-Time IHSAA State Championships by School" (PDF). Ihsaa.org. IHSAA. July 11, 2018. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- Hutton, Mike (January 11, 2018). "Former NFL offensive lineman Craig Osika named head football coach at Hobart". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved July 21, 2020.