Front of the theater
|Former names||Circle Theatre|
|Address||45 Monument Circle|
|Owner||Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra|
|Opened||August 30, 1916|
|Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Rubush and Hunter; Bedford Stone Construction Co.|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|Part of||Washington Street-Monument Circle Historic District (ID97001179)|
|NRHP reference No.||80000058|
|Added to NRHP||June 16, 1980|
The Hilbert Circle Theatre, originally called the Circle Theater, is in Indianapolis, Indiana, on Monument Circle. It was built in 1916 and consists of a Neoclassical style, white glazed terra cotta entrance section with a brick auditorium section behind. The front facade is slightly curved. It was originally built as a "deluxe movie palace.":2–3
Reopening on October 12, 1984, the Circle Theatre is home to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. In December 1996, it was renamed the Hilbert Circle Theatre after being endowed by Stephen Hilbert, founder of CNO Financial Group, and his wife Tomisue. The theatre holds 1,660 seats and has space for an 87-member ensemble. It is now home to a 3-manual 24-rank Wurlitzer theatre organ.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is located in the Washington Street-Monument Circle Historic District.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD)" (Searchable database). Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Retrieved 2016-08-01. Note: This includes Larry B. Justice (December 1979). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Circle Theater" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-08-01. and Accompanying photographs
- American Theatre Organ Society
- The Games of August: Official Commemorative Book. Indianapolis: Showmasters. 1987. ISBN 978-0-9619676-0-4.
- On the set with Jimmy Fallon. WTHR.com. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
Media related to Hilbert Circle Theatre (Indianapolis) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Circle Theater (Hilbert Circle Theatre) from Indianapolis, a Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary
|This article about a property in Marion County, Indiana on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indianapolis, Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|