February 20, 1984
|Height||2.00 m (6 ft 6 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||100.0 kg (220.5 lb; 15.75 st)|
|Reach||77 in (196 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Muay Thai|
|Fighting out of||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Team||Chakuriki Gym (2005–2013) |
Vos Gym (2013–present)
|Years active||14 (2003–present)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
last updated on: November 19, 2015
Hesdy Gerges (born February 20, 1984) is an Egyptian-Dutch kickboxer, fighting out of the Vos Gym in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He held the It's Showtime World Heavyweight title until January 28, 2012. Gerges has competed in the K-1, It's Showtime, SUPERKOMBAT and GLORY promotions and is currently signed to Bellator.
Biography and career
Born in Amsterdam, Netherlands, he began training in kickboxing in 2001. He joined the Chakuriki Gym and trained under Thom Harinck who has also trained Badr Hari. Gerges was a notorious delinquent outside of the ring who, according to Harinck, was even worse than Badr Hari.
On October 2 Gerges was a fan voted fighter to fight at the K-1 Final 16 in Seoul, South Korea. He fought four-time and current champion Semmy Schilt. Although fighting very well in the 1st and 3rd round against the much favored Schilt Gerges lost by Majority decision. Because he was only two points away from a draw and had battered the legs of Schilt like no other fighter had ever managed to do before he was chosen to fight at the finals on December 11, 2010 in a reserve fight against Yusuke Fujimoto. This was Fujimoto's retirement match and Gerges won by TKO (3 knockdowns).
However, in 2011 Gerges was not over impressive in his performances, despite going 2-1 by beating Daniel Ghiță and Chris Knowles. He lost to Rico Verhoeven by a narrow split decision in a superfight at the SUPERKOMBAT Fight Club.
On January 28, 2012 he lost to Ghiță in the rematch, by first-round knockout. As a result, he lost his Showtime Heavyweight Title.
He faced Sergei Lascenko at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2012 in Tokyo Final 16 on October 14, 2012. He was able to block the majority of Lascenko's punches while battering the Ukrainian with low kicks, and took the unanimous decision victory.
At the K-1 World Grand Prix 2012 Final on March 15, 2013 in Zagreb, Croatia, he faced Ismael Londt in the quarter-finals and bowed out from a broken nose in round three after receiving a flying knee from Londt.
He lost to Errol Zimmerman by third-round TKO in the tournament reserve match at Glory 11: Chicago - Heavyweight World Championship Tournament in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States on October 12, 2013.
He defeated Ewerton Teixeira by unanimous decision at Glory 13: Tokyo - Welterweight World Championship Tournament in Tokyo, Japan on December 21, 2013.
His half-brother was arrested May 2010 in a warehouse in Belgium that contained 128 kg of cocaine. Hesdy was already out of the picture in the investigation of 2010, but for some reason the investigation had stalled and he was put back in the picture on February 15, 2011. There was no cocaine or any weapons found in Hesdy residence. His trainer, Thom Harinck spoke with the Dutch Metro News on February 21, and outright said, "Hesdy has been framed. He wakes up at 7:30, at 10:00am he trains with me, rests in the afternoon, then in the evening does strength and conditioning and is in bed by 10:00 PM. I cannot imagine that he still would have time for things like this."
On February 25, 2011, Hesdy Gerges was released from Belgium police.
At the beginning of May 2011, Hesdy was extradited to Belgium to be dealt with as the Belgian authorities suspected that the trafficking ring was going through Belgium. On May 13, 2011, Hesdy was released again and stays with his claim that he is 100% innocent." At a later trial Gerges was convicted and sentenced to 54 months in prison for drug-trafficking.
- 2016 Kings Of The Ring World K-1 Rules Super Heavyweight Champion (+96.600 kg)
- 2015 Kunlun Fight Super Heavyweight tournament runner up
- 2010 It's Showtime World Heavyweight champion +95 kg
- 2009 World Full Contact Association (W.F.C.A.) (K-1 rules) super heavyweight world champion +95 kg
- 2009 V.I.P. Fight Night tournament runner up
- 2008 W.F.C.A. European champion
- 2008 W.F.C.A. Benelux champion
- 2007 W.F.C.A. Thai-boxing super heavyweight Dutch champion +95 kg
50 Wins (23 (T) KO's, 25 decisions, 2 disqualification), 19 Losses, 1 Draw, 1 No Contest
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|2 matches||0 wins||2 losses|
|Loss||0–2||Dragos Zubco||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 230||October 12, 2019||3||5:00||Milan, Italy|
|Loss||0–1||Domingos Barros||TKO (punches)||Bellator 211||December 1, 2018||1||3:52||Genoa, Italy|
- "Fighter profile". www.superleague.tv. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "zoekresultaten | Holland Media Combinatie". Echo.nl. Retrieved 2016-01-25.[permanent dead link]
- Het Parool
-  Archived January 3, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Hesdy Fighterheart Gerges".
- "エラー - J SPORTS". jsports.co.jp. Archived from the original on 2010-12-27. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
-  Archived September 30, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Dave Walsh. "Daniel Ghita Flattens Hesdy Gerges to Win It's Showtime Heavyweight Title". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 Final 16 Matches Unveiled". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "K-1 WGP Final 16, Finalized Fight Card For This Sunday, October 14". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16 Live Results". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "SuperKombat WGP 2012 Final Live Results, Watch Here". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "K-1 WGP Final 8 Match-Ups". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 World Grand Prix 2013 Live Results". LiverKick.com.
- Patrick L. Stumberg (15 March 2013). "K-1 World Grand Prix Final 8 results and LIVE kickboxing coverage from Zagreb, Croatia TODAY (March 15)". MMAmania.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Final Fight 06: Gerges vs. Zhuravlev on June 14th". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Final Fight 06 Results". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Hesdy Gerges and Ben Edwards to Fight for GLORY". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Hesdy Gerges vs. Errol Zimmerman Added to GLORY 11 Chicago". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "GLORY 11 Chicago Live Results and Discussion". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "GLORY SuperFight Series Tokyo and GLORY 13 Spoilers". LiverKick.com.
-  Archived April 14, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140413160704/http://fightsportasia.com/2014/04/13/glory-15-resultspictures-saki-wins-title-spong-suffers-horrific-leg-injury/. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2014. Missing or empty
- Jay Jauncey. "LiverKick - Qabala Fight Series #1 Results". Archived from the original on 2016-01-29.
- Jay Jauncey. "LiverKick - Qabala Fight Series #1 Videos". Archived from the original on 2016-01-29.
- "Badr Hari waarschuwt Gerges". telegraaf.nl.
- "Topvechter in cel om drugs". Parool.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Kickbokskampioen Gerges cel in om drugshandel". Trouw.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2016-01-25.<
- "K1-vechter Hesdy Gerges vast voor drugshandel". www.at5.nl.
- "K1-kampioen gepakt voor cocaïnehandel". telegraaf.nl.
- "K1 vechter Hesdy Gerges vast voor cocainehandel". Ad.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Kickbokser verdacht van handel in 128 kilo cocaïne". Elsevier. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- Dave Walsh. "Hesdy Gerges Arrested For Drug Trafficking". Liverkick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Hesdy Gerges to Be Released Within the Week, Says Thom Harinck". Liverkick.com.
- "Gerges is er ingeluisd". Metronieuws. 21 February 2011. Archived from the original on 7 June 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Dave Walsh. "It's Official: Hesdy Gerges Will Be Released and Fight Daniel Ghita on March 6th". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "Hesdy Gerges Released Again". LiverKick.com.
- "Kickbokser Hesdy Gerges op vrije voeten". www.at5.nl.
- Fraser Coffeen (22 November 2014). "Hesdy Gerges cut from Glory, sentenced to 54 months in jail following cocaine conviction". Bloody Elbow.
- Badr Hari negentien maanden geschorst wegens dopinggebruik
- "WKN France: Gregory Tony Set For Three International Kickboxing Clashes". worldkickboxingnetwork.com. 18 February 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- MIXFIGHT. "Jahfarr Wilnis wereld kampioen in China! - MIXFIGHT".
- "Round1Network » Gerges en Wilnis bereiken halve finale in China". round1network.com.
- "Croring Magazine - Vijest - Hesdy Gerges pobijedio na Kunlun Fightu". croring.com.