This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania's At-large district|
March 4, 1789 – March 3, 1791
|Born||March 2, 1737|
Northampton Township, Province of Pennsylvania, British America
|Died||March 25, 1816 (aged 79)|
Bucks County, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Resting place||Low Dutch Reformed Church, Richboro, Pennsylvania|
Henry Wynkoop (March 2, 1737 – March 25, 1816) was a member of the Continental Congress (from 1779) and later a United States Representative for the state of Pennsylvania during the First United States Congress, 1789 to 1791.
Life and career
Wynkoop was born in Northampton Township in the Province of Pennsylvania on March 2, 1737. He inherited his father's 153 acre farm in Newtown upon his death in 1759. He was admitted to Princeton University but he did not complete his studies as he got involved in local politics.
Prior to his term as a representative, he served as a Justice of the Court of Common Pleas and the orphan's court in Kingston, Pennsylvania from 1780 to 1789. After his term in Congress, he was appointed as an Associate Judge in Bucks County, as which he served until his death in that county on March 25, 1816; he was interred in the graveyard of the Low Dutch Reformed Church, Richboro, Pennsylvania.
Wynkoop married three times and had eight children. In 1761 he married Susannah Wanshaer, who died in 1776. In 1777 he married Maria Cummings, who died in 1781. He married his third wife, Sarah Newkirk, who died in 1813.
- "Henry Wynkoop: Princeton, Class of 1760". Rootsweb.com Wynkoop Family Research Library. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Wynkoop, Richard. Wynkoop Genealogy in the United States of America New York, 1904. Knickerbocker Press
- Beatty, Joseph M., Jr. "The Letters of Judge Henry Wynkoop, Representative From Pennsylvania to the First Congress of the United States." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 38 (January 1914): 39–64, 183–205.
- United States Congress. "Henry Wynkoop (id: W000783)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Henry Wynkoop at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Pennsylvania's at-large congressional district