This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Parent company||Georg Von Holtzbrinck Publishing Group|
|Founder||Henry Holt and Frederick Leypoldt|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Equitable Building|
New York City
Melia Publishing Services (UK)
|Publication types||Books - Hardcover and Paperback|
|Imprints||Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, Francis Coady, John Macrae, Metropolitan, Times, Godwin, Christy Ottaviano|
Henry Holt and Company is an American book publishing company based in New York City. One of the oldest publishers in the United States, it was founded in 1866 by Henry Holt and Frederick Leypoldt. Currently, the company publishes in the fields of American and international fiction, biography, history and politics, science, psychology, and health, as well as books for children's literature. In the US, it operates under Macmillan Publishers.
The company has published works by renowned authors Erich Fromm, Paul Auster, Hilary Mantel, Robert Frost, Hermann Hesse, Norman Mailer, Herta Müller, Thomas Pynchon, Robert Louis Stevenson, Ivan Turgenev, and Noam Chomsky.
Holt merged with Rinehart & Company of New York and the John C. Winston Company of Philadelphia in 1960 to become Holt, Rinehart and Winston. The Wall Street Journal reported on March 1 that Holt stockholders had approved the merger, last of the three approvals. "Henry Holt is the surviving concern, but will be known as Holt, Rinehart, Winston, Inc."
CBS purchased the company in 1967. But in 1985 the group split, and the retail publishing arm along with the Holt name was sold to the Georg von Holtzbrinck Publishing Group based in Stuttgart, which has retained Holt as a subsidiary publishing under its original name and in the US it is part of Macmillan Publishers. The educational publishing arm, which retained the Holt, Rinehart and Winston name, was sold to Harcourt.
- Amateur Studies
- American Science Series
- English Readings
- Leisure Hour Series
- Leisure Moment Series
- Library of Foreign Poetry
- "Melia Publishing - List of client publishers". Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Nancy Lewis Tuten. The Robert Frost Encyclopedia. pg.149
- "Henry Holt". US Macmillan. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- Opalic, Zoran (2011-10-28). "Hunting, fishing…". iNewsDesign. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- Roberts, Sam (2015-10-28). "John Backe Dies at 83; Put CBS Back Atop Prime Time". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Henry Holt Merger". The Wall Street Journal. March 1, 1960. Page 12.
- American Science Series (Henry Holt and Company) - Book Series List, publishinghistory.com. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- English Readings, owu.edu. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- The Leisure Hour Series (Henry Holt and Company) - Book Series List, publishinghistory.com. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry Holt and Company.|