Madsen is educated with a PhD in civil and structural engineering from the Technical University of Denmark, where he also held a position as professor within structural mechanics. He started working for DNV as chief scientist in structural reliability analysis, working to introduce structural reliability methods in the standard setting work of the oil and gas industry. He was elected into the United States Offshore Energy Center Technology Hall of Fame as an offshore pioneer in 2002. He has published several books and more than 80 papers within this area.
For DNV, Madsen has headed the maritime, energy and industry, and research business areas, as well as being regional manager in Japan and Denmark. He is also a member of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
In June 2019, Ivaldi Group, a 3D printing company specialized in on demand superior producer, has appointed Madsen to its advisory board.
- Methods of Structural Safety (1985)
- Structural Reliability Methods (1996)
- Proposal for a Code for the Direct Use of Reliability Methods in Structural Design (1989)
- Det Norske Veritas. "DNV Management". Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- Marine Log (2005-12-16). "DNV names new CEO". Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- "Board of Directors". Aker Solutions. Retrieved 2019-06-10.
- "United Nations Secretary-General appoints DNV GL CEO Henrik O. Madsen as new Global Compact board member". DNV GL. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- "3D printing Jobs update: Kodama Technologies, Additive Industries, BigRep, the Ivaldi Group, ARMOR". 3D Printing Industry. 2019-06-21. Retrieved 2019-08-05.
- Madsen, H. O. (2006). Methods of structural safety. Krenk, S., Lind, N. C. (Niels Christian), 1930- (Dover ed.). Mineola, NY: Dover Publications. ISBN 0486445976. OCLC 61303511.
- Ditlevsen, Ove. (1996). Structural reliability methods. Madsen, H. O. Chichester: Wiley. ISBN 0471960861. OCLC 32548959.
- Ditlevsen, Ove. Proposal for a code for the direct use of reliability methods in structural design. [IABSE]. OCLC 24703468.
|This business-related Danish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|