This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in Vienna, Lohner initially trained as a commercial artist, while also taking private acting lessons. He made his acting début in 1952 at the municipal theatre in Baden bei Wien. He also appeared as operetta buffo at the Stadttheater Klagenfurt. From 1953 to 1963 he appeared in various productions of the Theater in der Josefstadt, as well as making numerous film appearances.
Further engagements in Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Düsseldorf and Zurich followed. Between them he appeared at the Burgtheater, and at the Salzburg Festival several times, taking the roles of "Death", "The Devil" and "Jedermann" in Hugo von Hofmannsthal's play Jedermann (which by tradition is performed every year). He made his film debut in 1955 in Josef von Báky's Hotel Adlon. From 1963 he was active in television as actor and director.
Lohner married and divorced the German actress Susanne Cramer twice. Their daughter Konstanze Lohner is a pedagogue in Germany. He then married the German actress Karin Baal, with whom he had a daughter, actress Therese Lohner. In 2011, he married Elisabeth Gürtler-Mauthner. The couple lived together for 19 years before their marriage.
Helmuth Lohner died on 23 June 2015 at the age of 82.
As opera director
- 1994 La belle Hélène by Jacques Offenbach
- 1997 The Merry Widow by Franz Lehár
- 1999 Eine Nacht in Venedig by Johann Strauss II
- 2002 Die Csárdásfürstin by Emmerich Kálmán
- 2005 The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
As theatre actor
- 1978 Das weite Land by Arthur Schnitzler, directed by Otto Schenk
- 1987 Der einsame Weg by Arthur Schnitzler, directed by Thomas Langhoff
- 1991–1993 Ein Jedermann (Salzburg festival)
- 1999 Figaro lässt sich scheiden by Ödön von Horváth, directed by Luc Bondy
- Hotel Adlon (1955)
- King in Shadow (1956)
- Salzburg Stories (1957)
- Widower with Five Daughters (1957)
- The House of Three Girls (1958)
- Eva (1958)
- The Spessart Inn (1958)
- Die schöne Lügnerin (1959)
- Marili (1959)
- My Husband, the Economic Miracle (1960)
- Pension Schöller (1960)
- Mrs. Warren's Profession (1960)
- Blond muß man sein auf Capri (1961)
- The Last Chapter (1961)
- Mann im Schatten (1961)
- …und ewig knallen die Räuber (1962)
- Hannibal Brooks (1968)
- Babeck (1968, TV miniseries)
- Liliom (1971 TV film), directed by Otto Schenk
- Reigen,directed by Otto Schenk
- Derrick – Season 1, episode 2: "Johanna" (1974, TV)
- Zucker (1989,TV film)
Decorations and awards
- 1980 Kainz Medal
- 1988 Nestroy Ring
- 1991 Gold Honorary Medal of Vienna
- 1992 Kammerschauspieler
- 2001 Nestroy nomination for Best Actor
- 2003 Honorary Member of the Theater in der Josefstadt
- 2003 Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class
- 2006 Gold Medal for services to the City of Vienna
- "Der Schauspieler und Regisseur Herbert Föttinger wird ab Saison 2006/07 Nachfolger von Helmuth Lohner". Der Standard (in German). 14 June 2005. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.oe24.at/leute/oesterreich/42-Gaeste-bei-Elisabeth-Guertler-So-war-die-Hochzeit/50566923&ei=3iiYT7mzLqefiAKS3P3PDw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CF0Q7gEwBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DElisabeth%2BGuertler%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_de%26as_qdr%3Dall%26tbs%3Dlr:lang_1de%26prmd%3Dimvnso. Missing or empty
- Ronald Pohl. "Schauspieler Helmuth Lohner gestorben". derStandard.at.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question" (PDF) (in German). p. 1551. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Helmuth Lohner.|