|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
|Assumed office |
December 19, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Claudia Ann Wilken|
Haywood Stirling Gilliam Jr.
October 13, 1969
|Education||Yale University (B.A.)|
Stanford Law School (J.D.)
Haywood Stirling Gilliam Jr. (born October 13, 1969) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
Gilliam was born in 1969, in Marlborough, Massachusetts. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1991, from Yale University. He received a Juris Doctor in 1994 from Stanford Law School. He served as a law clerk to Judge Thelton Henderson of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, from 1994 to 1995. He worked at the law firm of McCutchen, Doyle, Brown & Enersen from 1995 to 1998. He served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of California, from 1999 to 2006, serving as Chief of the Securities Fraud Section, from 2004 to 2006. He was a partner at the law firm of Bingham McCutchen, from 2006 to 2009. From 2009 to 2014, he was a partner at Covington & Burling, where he served as the Vice-Chair of the firm's White Collar Defense and Investigations practice group.
Federal judicial service
On September 8, 2014, President Obama nominated Gilliam to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, to the seat vacated by Judge Claudia Ann Wilken, who took senior status in December 2014. He received a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary on September 17, 2014. On November 20, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On Saturday, December 13, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On December 16, 2014, Reid withdrew his cloture motion on Gilliam Jr.'s nomination, and the Senate proceeded to vote to confirm Gilliam Jr. in a voice vote. He received his federal judicial commission on December 19, 2014.
- MyLife.com profile
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF).
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Haywood Stirling Gilliam, Jr., to serve on the United States District Court for the Northern District of California". 18 August 2014.
- "Gilliam, Haywood Stirling, Jr. – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 8 September 2014.
- "White House names former S.F. federal prosecutor to Bay Area federal judgeship – The Mercury News".
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting – November 20, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary" (PDF).
- Haywood Gilliam at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Haywood Stirling Gilliam, Jr. at Ballotpedia
Claudia Ann Wilken
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California