This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Harry Ainlay High School|
4350 111 Street
|Motto||In Omnibus Excelsior|
In all things Excellence
|School board||Edmonton Public Schools|
|Area trustee||Michael Janz|
|Grades||10 – 12|
|Enrollment||2889 (2019 – 2020)|
|• Grade 10||955|
|• Grade 11||957|
|• Grade 12||977|
|Campus size||25,272 m2|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue, Black and White|
|Athletics conference||Bright Conference|
|Communities served||Allard, Aspen Gardens, Bearspaw, Blackburne, Blackmud Creek, Blue Quill, Blue Quill Estates, Callaghan, Chappelle, Duggan, Empire Park, Ermineskin, Greenfield, Malmo Plains, MacEwan, Richford, Rideau Park, Royal Gardens, Rutherford, Skyrattler, Steinhauer, Sweet Grass, Twin Brooks, Westbrook Estates|
Harry Ainlay High School is a high school located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in the Royal Gardens neighbourhood, south of Whitemud Drive on 111 Street. The school is operated by the Edmonton Public School System, and has wide variety of educational opportunities for students, including: full French Immersion instruction, the International Baccalaureate Program (designated an IB school since June 1, 1980, current IB coordinator: Dean Zuberbühler), Career and Technology Studies, and Registered Apprenticeship programs. The school has an enrollment of 2,889 students As of September 2019[update]. Since opening in 1966, the school has produced over 40,000 graduates.
Canadian Student Leadership Conference
From September 25–28, 2018, the school hosted the Canadian Student Leadership Conference 2018. Speakers such as Chris Hadfield, Michel Chikwanine (a child soldier), Keith Hawkins, and Phil Boyte attended.
International Baccalaureate Program
Harry Ainlay was the second school in Alberta to introduce the International Baccalaureate program and is one of eight schools in the Edmonton Public School System offering an International Baccalaureate diploma program. Having a diploma graduating class normally greater than fifty students, Ainlay has one of the largest IB classes in Alberta. However, this is often attributed to the large population base of the school, with about 450 students enrolled in the diploma program and 200 students enrolled in the certificate program each year.
Harry Ainlay currently offers IB courses in Biology (HL), English Literature (A1)(HL), History (HL), Physics (SL, HL), and Visual Arts (SL, HL), Chemistry (SL), French (B), Spanish (B), German (A1 or ab initio), Japanese (B or ab initio), Mathematics (SL), Mathematical Studies (SL), Music (SL), and Theatre Arts (SL). There have been several students write A1 examinations in their native languages including: German, Arabic, and Japanese.
In the media
On July 6, 2016 at approximately 2 AM, two people were hospitalized for a shooting that occurred near Harry Ainlay and Confederation Leisure Centre. The school was locked down on October 5, 2016 after an online threat on a student's Instagram page titled "clown.yeg". On September 13, 2017, a 15-year-old student was charged with bringing an airsoft pistol to school after an anonymous tip. The student was confronted at approximately 9:20 AM.
- Brent Belke – musician (SNFU, Wheat Chiefs)
- Marc Belke – musician (SNFU, Wheat Chiefs)
- Rick Campbell - Canadian Football League head coach
- Lance Chomyc – Canadian Football League placekicker
- Dwayne Goettel - musician (Skinny Puppy)
- Chris Hardy – Canadian Football League safety
- Samantha King – Canadian country/blues singer
- Dion Phaneuf – National Hockey League defenceman
- Steven Reinprecht – National Hockey League centerman
- Kreesha Turner – pop singer
- "2019-2020 Revised Budget" (PDF). Edmonton Public School Board. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- Harry Ainlay School Council AGM PDF (Tuesday, September 17, 2019)
- "Harry Ainlay High School". International Baccalaureate®. Retrieved 2019-10-12.
- "Harry Ainlay Titans claim provincial football title". Edmonton Sun. 2017-11-26. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "About Us, Who was Harry Ainlay?". harryainlay.epsb.ca. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "CSLC-CCLE 2018 | Leadership Through the Looking Glass● Leadership de l'autre côté du miroir". 2018-10-02. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
Edmonton Public Schools (EPSB) is very excited to host the 34th Annual Canadian Student Leadership Conference at Harry Ainlay School in partnership with...
- "Harry Ainlay- Harry Ainlay School". harryainlay.epsb.ca. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Speakers | CSLC-CCLE 2018". cslc2018.studentleadership.ca. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Program Choices - Languages - French Immersion". districtsite.epsb.ca. Archived from the original on 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "French Immersion - Edmonton Public Schools". www.epsb.ca. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- Program Choices - International Baccalaureate - Diploma Programme
- "Individual School Profiles". Edmonton Public Schools. 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2007-08-14.
- Harry Ainlay High School
- "Shooting near Harry Ainlay High School sends man to hospital". CBC News. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Alleged 'clowning' threat places northeast Edmonton school on alert". Global News. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Clown costumes banned at Fort McMurray public schools this Halloween". Global News. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
Also earlier this month, two teens were charged with uttering threats for online posts involving Harry Ainlay, McNally and J. Percy Page high schools.
- "Suspect arrested after lockdown at Harry Ainlay High School, 'creepy clown' causes social media scare". Edmonton Journal. 2016-10-05. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Harry Ainlay High School locked down after alleged online threat against staff member". Toronto Sun. 2016-10-05. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Man arrested in Sherwood Park in connection with threat against MacEwan University". Edmonton Journal. 2016-10-25. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
Earlier this month, two teens were charged with uttering threats — using the social media application Instagram — against staff and students at three Edmonton high schools.
The first threat “inciting violence against staff and students” at Harry Ainlay High School was made on a “creepy clown” Instagram account.
- "Edmonton clown defends his craft as 'bizarre' clown craze comes to Alberta | CBC News". CBC. 2016-10-26. Archived from the original on 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- Wakefield, Jonny (2017-09-13). "Lockdown at Harry Ainlay School after airsoft pistol, baton found in student's bag | Edmonton Sun". Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Friends Salute Skinny Puppy's Dwayne Goettel". Edmonton Journal: D11. August 25, 1995.
- "Festival Place – Show Details (Samantha King Trio; Dino Dominelli)". Festival Place. 2011-09-12. Archived from the original on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Kreesha Turner". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
When I went back to Canada I continued Grade 11 & 12 at Harry Ainlay High School