|Harrison Public Schools|
|430 William Street|
Harrison, NJ 07029
|Superintendent||Dr. Cynthia Baumgartner (Interim)|
|Business administrator||Daniel Choffo|
|Affiliation(s)||Former Abbott district|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||2,380 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||B|
The Harrison Public School District is a comprehensive public school district serving students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, located in the municipality of Harrison, in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. Harrison is located 12 miles (19 km) west of New York City, and is sandwiched between Newark (the state's largest city) to the west and Jersey City to the east. The district is one of 31 former Abbott districts statewide, which are now referred to as "SDA Districts" based on the requirement for the state to cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "B", the second lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
- Harrison Early Childhood Program (grades Pre-K3 and PreK4)
- Lincoln Elementary School (grades Pre-K to 3; 667 students). The school is located at 221 Cross Street.
- Amy M. Heberling, Principal
- Steven Valente, Assistant Principal
- Hamilton Intermediate School (4-5; 302). The school is located at 223 Hamilton Street.
- Kevin Stahl, Principal
- Middle school
- Washington Middle School (6-8; 430) The school is located at 1 North Fifth Street.
- Michael Landy, Principal
- Kevin Barber, Assistant Principal
- High school
- Harrison High School (9-12; 698). Harrison High School is located at 401 Kingsland Avenue.
The construction of a new structure to house Harrison High School began in January, 2005, and was completed in the summer of 2007 in time for the 2007-2008 school year. The new Harrison High School is located at the intersection of Kingsland Avenue and Hamilton Street in the northeastern corner of the town on the former site of Clayton Container. A new stadium was constructed along with the school building. The campus includes a football/soccer field, baseball diamond, softball diamond, running track around the fields, and 3 tennis courts. The building includes thirty general education classrooms, four special education classrooms, two classrooms for small group instruction, two gymnasiums, a dance/aerobics studio, instrumental/vocal music room, cafeteria, auditorium, media center, science labs, computer room, and faculty spaces.
Although Washington Middle School has been relocated to the former site of the high school, the planned remodeling of the old high school has been put on hold indefinitely due to funding issues involving the New Jersey Schools Construction Corporation and mismanagement of funds.
Core members of the district's administration are:
- Dr. Cynthia Baumgartner, Interim Superintendent
- Daniel Choffo, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Harrison Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Abbott School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 15, 2016.
- About SDA Archived 2016-08-16 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed January 8, 2017.
- SDA Capital Program Archived 2016-11-09 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed January 8, 2017.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Duger, Rose. "East Newark Harrison merging dispatch service", The Jersey Journal, December 30, 2010. Accessed March 25, 2011. "Kearny handles all health-related functions through its Board of Health, while East Newark high school children attend Harrison High School and the borough contracts with Harrison to provide street cleaning, snow removal, ambulance and library services."
- School Data for the Harrison Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- Schools, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Harrison Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Harrison Early Childhood Program, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- Lincoln Elementary School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- Hamilton Intermediate School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- Washington Middle School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- Harrison High School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- Harrison High Administration, Harrison High School. Accessed October 30, 2017.
- McDonald, Terrence T. "Harrison names former Jersey City Councilman as assistant principal of high school ", The Jersey Journal, July 12, 2012."Former Jersey City Councilman Steve Lipski is giving up his role as head of the city Economic Development Corporation and accepting an assistant principal position at Harrison High School."
- Harrison District Information Archived 2006-03-20 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Schools Construction Corporation. Accessed May 7, 2006
- New Jersey School Directory for Hudson County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.