This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Known for||Ceramic art, Sculpture|
Harris Deller is an American ceramist.
Harris Deller was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1947. He received his BA from California State University, Northridge and his MFA from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in 1973 studying with Richard DeVore. Deller's work has been shown in 100+ group exhibitions, featured in 15+ solo exhibits in museums and galleries, represented in 25+ major collections, and pictures or cited in 40+ publications. He has received Artists Fellowships from the Illinois Arts Council, Arts Midwest, a regional NEA, and a Fulbright Fellowship to South Korea in 1980/81. Professor Deller was elected a Fellow to the National Council for Education in the Ceramic Arts in 1992 and was awarded membership into the International Academy of Ceramics in 2011.
Harris taught at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois from 1975-2013. In 2008, he received the NCECA Excellence in Teaching Award for his outstanding contributions to education in the field of ceramics. He continues producing his work at White Roof Studio in Carbondale, Illinois.
Deller's ceramic works are represented in the following collections:
- Museum of Contemporary Art and Design, New York
- Illinois State Museum, Chicago and Springfield, IL
- Hallmark Art Collection, Kansas City
- Shigaraki Museum of Contemporary Ceramic Art, Japan
- Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, New York
- San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts, Texas
- Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento
- De Young Museum of Fine Arts, San Francisco.
Some of his students include: Yih-Wen Kuo (1981), Elaine Olafson Henry (1995), Colby Parsons (1998), Veronica L. Watkins (2000), Lou Pierozzi (2001) Brenda Quinn (2003), Greg Cochenet (2004), Bethany Benson (2007), KyoungHwa Oh (2008), Amy Chase (2010), Nick Toebaas (2011), Noel Bailey (2012), and CJ Niehaus (2013)
- 7 Ceramistes Nord-americans deI’AIC, Revista Ceramica Contemporania terr art, ACC Barcelona, 2013.
- Merino, Anthony. Art, Objecthood and Clay – Harris Deller, Ceramics Art and Perception, 88, 2012
- Brown, Glen. 500 Sculptures: Contemporary Practice, Singular Works Lark Books, 2009.
- Brown, Glen. Harris Deller: Made in China Ceramics Monthly, January 2008.
- Brown, Glen. Harris Deller: The Depth of Black and White. Ceramic Art and Perception, 66, 2006.
- Tourtillot, Suzanne. 500 Cups, Lark Books, 2005.
- In the Land of Lincoln: 20 Illinois Potters, The Studio Potter, June 2003.
- Gardner, Nancy. Harris Deller, American Ceramics, 1989.
- Lane, P. Porcelain, Chilton Book, 1980.