|Born||29 October 1909|
|Died||19 January 1967(aged 57)|
Harold Daniell (29 October 1909 – 19 January 1967) was a British professional Grand Prix motorcycle road racer and auto racing driver. He competed in the 1940s and 1950s. On retiring from racing he owned a Norton motorcycle dealership in Forest Hill, London.
Harold Daniell and George Rowley rode the supercharged AJS V4s in the 1936 Isle of Man Senior TT, but despite its high top speed, it lacked acceleration. Both riders retired due to mechanical problems.
In the 1938 Isle of Man TT' Daniell completed the first under 25-minute (24min.52.6sec), 91.00 plus mph, lap of the Isle of Man TT Snaefell Mountain Course on his Norton in the Senior TT, a record which would stand for 12 years. He won, beating Stanley Woods by only 14.4 seconds.
Daniell competed in the 1949 Grand Prix motorcycle racing season riding on a 500cc Norton and finished sixth overall with 17 points in the World Championship while Leslie Graham and Nello Pagani finished first and second respectively. In the same year he also won the Isle of Man Senior TT and was placed fifth in the Junior TT. His victory in the Senior TT makes him the first race winner of the MotoGP (then 500 cc) class.
Daniell's Isle of Man TT racing career spanned the years from 1930 until 1950 and included three victories and several placings in the Tourist Trophy races but he also competed in the Manx Grand Prix. Daniell declared that the new Norton was like "riding on a featherbed" compared with riding the "garden gate" - and it has been called the Featherbed frame ever since. After his motorcycle racing career, Daniell began auto racing, entering Formula 3 events at the wheel of an Emeryson car.
|TT Career Summary|
|Number of times||3||1||1||1||4||1||2||7|
World Championship results
(key) (Races in bold indicate pole position; races in italics indicate fastest lap.)
- "Ahead of the Game / Supercharged V4 AJS on test". Classic Racer magazine. Mortons Media Group (Horncastle, Lincolnshire UK) (121): 34–40. ISSN 1470-4463.
- MCB TTraces Archived 16 November 2006 at the Wayback Machine (Retrieved 1 November 2006]
- "Harold Daniell Isle of Man TT results". iomtt.com. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "MotoGP Milestones". crash.net. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Harold Daniell". Archived from the original on 6 January 2009. Retrieved 3 January 2009.