Harivansh Narayan Singh
|12th Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha|
|Assumed office |
14 September 2020
9 August 2018 – 9 April 2020
|Preceded by||P. J. Kurien|
|Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha|
|Assumed office |
10 April 2014
|Preceded by||N. K. Singh|
|Born||30 June 1956|
Daljit Tola Sitab Diyara, Ballia district, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Political party||Janata Dal (United)|
|National Democratic Alliance|
|Alma mater||Banaras Hindu University|
Harivansh Narayan Singh (born 30 June 1956) is an Indian journalist and politician, who is the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament. He is a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha representing Bihar.
He has worked in several different media publications through his career, starting with The Times of India. He served as an additional media advisor to former Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar. He joined the then obscure and nearly dead Hindi publication Prabhat Khabar in 1989, and scaled it to become one of the top newspapers in India, in terms of circulation. The newspaper was known for investigating many high-profile stories, including the Fodder scam.
In 2014, the Janata Dal (United) nominated Singh to the Rajya Sabha from the state of Bihar for a six-year term. On 8 August 2018, he was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha for a six-year term as the candidate of the National Democratic Alliance, winning the election by a vote of 125 to 105 against the opposition candidate. He is the third person ever and first in forty years to hold this post who is not from the Indian National Congress. He was re-elected as the deputy chairman of the Rajya Sabha on 14 September 2020 after he returned to the Rajya Sabha for his second term from Bihar.
P. J. Kurien
| Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
- "Harivansh Narayan Singh". MyNeta.info. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "MR. HARIVANSH NARAYAN SINGH". Archived from the original on 6 April 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Harivansh Narayan Singh: From Rs 500 job to RS Dy Chairperson, 10 things you should know about him". Economic Times.
- "All five candidates elected unopposed to RS from Bihar". 1 February 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Harivansh Narayan Singh is Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman: NDA's candidate beats Congress' BK Hariprasad, 125 ayes against 105 noes". Firstpost.