This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hari Shankar Tiwari is an Indian politician from Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh. Tiwari was a member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly from the village Tanda, Chillupar in Gorakhpur district.
Hari Shankar Tiwari was the first public figure in Indian political history to be elected to the legislature from prison. Elected from Chillupar, he remained a member of the legislative assembly for 23 years continuously.
He has been a cabinet minister at the State Assembly in several governments, including the Kalyan Singh (Bharatiya Janata Party) government (1997–1999). He was also a minister in the Mulayam Singh Yadav (Samajwadi Party) government (2003–2007).
In 2000, he was the Stamp and Registration cabinet minister in Ram Prakash Gupta's government . In 2001, he was the cabinet minister in Rajnath Singh's government and also in year 2002, he was the cabinet minister in Mayawati's Government.
Another son, Vinay Shankar Tiwari, stood from Gorakhpur but lost to Yogi Adityanath by a margin of 2,22,000 votes. He also lost a runoff election from Ballia in 2007 by 130,000 votes. He is the current MLA from Chillupar.
Nephew Ganesh Shankar Pandey was a state legislator from Maharajganj. In 2010 he won the MLC election for the fourth consecutive time, and was the speaker of the legislative council. He was succeeded by Rajesh Tripathi. After that Vinay Shankar Tiwari won again from the Chillupar constituency in the 17th Legislative Assembly of Gorakhpur.
His daughter Kamini Dube is a film producer and had produced the film Rashtraputra along with The Bombay Talkies Studios.
- From Democracy to Kleptocracy. "Shankar Jha". Manushi. Retrieved 12 May 2007.Extracts from the Affidavit Submitted to the Venkatswamy Commission
- Geeta Pandey (7 May 2007). "Politics and public service". BBC News. Retrieved 12 May 2007.
- Purnima S. Tripathi (11–24 October 2003). "L'affaire Amarmani". Frontline, Volume 20, Issue 21. Archived from the original on 28 January 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2007.
- "यूपी : सियासी भूचाल की आहट, बीजेपी के करीब हुए बाहुबली हरिशंकर तिवारी!– News18 हिंदी". News18 India. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- 50 करोड़ डॉलर जुटाएगी इंडियन ऑयल [Indian Oil to raise $ 500m]
- "National Portal of India". www.india.gov.in. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- Empowering India - Making democracy meaningful, Know our Representative & Candidate Archived 10 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "SP wrests Ballia seat in bypolls". The Financial Express. 3 January 2008. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Madhumita case: CBI charge sheet". www.rediff.com. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "3 from UP among top 10 criminal MPs in 15th Lok Sabha". Daily Excelsior. 21 May 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "Bombay Talkies makes a splendid comeback!". Bollywood Hungama. 25 April 2019. Retrieved 25 April 2019.