This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||8 August 1914|
|Died||5 April 1976(aged 61)|
|Allegiance|| Nazi Germany |
|Years of service||1934–42|
Kapitän zur See (Bundesmarine)
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
U-559 under the command of Heidtmann came under attack by several British warships and an aircraft on 30 October 1942. Fatally damaged and forced to the surface, the U-boat was abandoned after scuttling herself in the Mediterranean. A British boarding party, consisting of Lieutenant Francis Anthony Blair Fasson, Able Seaman Colin Grazier, and Canteen Assistant Tommy Brown, from destroyer HMS Petard recovered the cryptographic materials, but the U-boat sank before the Enigma cipher machine could be brought out. Eight German crewmen and two British seamen were lost, and 37 German survivors were taken prisoner of war.
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th Class (8 April 1938)
- Spanish Cross in Bronze with Swords (6 June 1939)
- Sudetenland Medal (16 September 1939)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (26 November 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (27 November 1939) & 1st Class (23 September 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 12 April 1943 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-559
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 341.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 342.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 374.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945] (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Fregattenkapitän Gerd Schreiber
| Commander of the Marinestützpunktkommando Wilhelmshaven
April 1964 – September 1965
Kapitän zur See Karl-Heinz Wünn