|Hampstead and Highgate|
|Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Hampstead and Highgate in Greater London for the 2005 general election
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Hampstead and Kilburn, Holborn and St Pancras|
|Created from||Hampstead and St Pancras North|
Some areas here were amongst the wealthiest in the UK, but the seat always had an intellectual, artistic middle-class vote associated with the intelligentsia (see main page on Hampstead). It also contained Kilburn, with its large Irish community (also intelligentsia). The Labour incumbent in Hampstead and Highgate at the time of abolition, Glenda Jackson, retained the new constituency of Hampstead and Kilburn in 2010 with a majority of just 42.
1983-1997: The London Borough of Camden wards of Adelaide, Belsize, Fitzjohns, Fortune Green, Frognal, Hampstead Town, Highgate, Kilburn, Priory, South End, Swiss Cottage, and West End.
1997-2010: The London Borough of Camden wards of Adelaide, Belsize, Fitzjohns, Fortune Green, Frognal, Gospel Oak, Hampstead Town, Highgate, Kilburn, Priory, South End, Swiss Cottage, and West End.
In 2002, a Local Government Boundary Commission for England review abolished the Adelaide, Priory, South End and West End wards, whilst it combined Frognal and Fitzjohns into one ward. For the 2005 general election, the electoral wards used in this constituency were Belsize, Camden Town with Primrose Hill (part), Fortune Green, Frognal and Fitzjohns, Gospel Oak (part), Hampstead Town, Haverstock (part), Highgate (part), Kilburn, Swiss Cottage and West Hampstead.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in North London, the Boundary Commission for England created a new constituency of Hampstead and Kilburn by excluding Highgate ward (which became part of Holborn & St Pancras) and including three wards from the neighbouring borough of Brent. Hampstead and Kilburn largely replaced Hampstead and Highgate for the 2010 general election.
Members of Parliament
|2010||Constituency abolished: see Hampstead and Kilburn|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social Democratic||Anne Sofer||11,030||24.8||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
|Social Democratic||Anne Sofer||8,744||19.3||−5.5|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||Rainbow George Weiss||137||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||David H. Wrede||4,765||11.2||−8.1|
|Green||Steven N. Games||594||1.4||+1.4|
|Natural Law||Richard D. Prosser||86||0.2||+0.2|
|Rainbow Ark Voters Association||Anna Hall||44||0.1||N/A|
|Scallywagg||Charles Scallywag Wilson||44||0.1||N/A|
|Rizz Party||Captain Rizz||33||0.1||−0.2|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+4.1|
|Conservative||Elizabeth M. Gibson||11,991||27.2||−13.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Bridget Fox||5,481||12.4||+1.4|
|Natural Law||Jonathan Leslie||147||0.3||+0.1|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||Ronnie Carroll||141||0.3||N/A|
|Humanist||Robert J. Harris||105||0.2||N/A|
|Rizz Party||Captain Rizz||101||0.2||+0.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Jonathan Simpson||7,273||20.5||+8.1|
|Socialist Alliance||Helen Cooper||559||1.6||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||Mary Teale||92||0.3||N/A|
|Conservative||Piers A. Wauchope||10,886||28.5||+3.9|
|Liberal Democrats||Ed T. Fordham||10,293||27.0||+6.5|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||Rainbow George Weiss||91||0.2||+0.2|
- "'Hampstead and Highgate', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 12 March 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- Glenda Jackson sneaks home with majority of 42 Evening Standard, 7 May 2010
- "North London Ward Breakdown". Electoral Calculus. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Hampstead and Highgate Constituency The Guardian
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.