|Hammond High School|
5926 Calumet Avenue
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Building Character, Leadership, Tradition|
|School district||School City of Hammond|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.56|
|Athletics conference||Great Lakes|
|Mascot||Willy the Wildcat|
|Newspaper||The Hammond High Herald|
Hammond High School was established in 1884. In 1915, the current building opened as the Hammond Industrial High School.
The school caught fire on December 13, 1967. In the aftermath of the fire, students shared the campus of Hammond Tech, attending classes in the afternoon while Hammond Tech students went to class in the morning. Reconstruction after the fire was not completed until 1973.
Hammond High School is on probationary accreditation status from the Indiana Department of Education. The school has consistently underperformed on the ISTEP exams since 2000–01. The pass rates for Hammond students on the 2008–09 exams was 32.8%; the statewide average was 73.7%. As of 2008 the Graduation rate was 57.3%.
- Academic Super Bowl Team
- Bible Club
- Chess Club
- Debate Team
- Environmental Club
- Mock Trial
- Gamers club
- Drama Club
- Key Club
- National Honor Society
- Natural Helpers
- Science Olympiad
- Spanish Club
- Student Government
- 1905 Boys Track & Field
- 1906 Boys Track & Field
- 1935 Wrestling
- 1936 Wrestling
- 1936 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1937 Wrestling
- 1938 Boys Track & Field
- 1939 Boys Track & Field
- 1940 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1941 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1942 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1943 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1951 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1952 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1954 Boys Swimming & Diving
- 1962 Wrestling
- 1963 Wrestling
- Bob Anderson – former MLB player for the Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs
- Don Brumm – former defensive lineman for the Purdue Boilermakers football team. Former NFL player for the St. Louis Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles
- Rudy Chapa – Decorated at the high school and collegiate level for track and field. Current Member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Oregon until 2017
- Jack Chevigny - Notre Dame football player, University of Texas head football coach, United States Marine killed at Iwo Jima in WWII.
- Irv Cross – former NFL cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles and Los Angeles Rams. Former host of The NFL Today on CBS
- Dory Funk – former professional wrestler
- Bob Livingstone – former All-America Football Conference halfback for the Chicago Rockets and Buffalo Bills. Former NFL halfback for the Baltimore Colts and the Chicago Cardinals
- Jean Shepherd – Writer and narrator of A Christmas Story
- Chips Sobek – former NBA player for the Sheboygan Red Skins
- "Hammond High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 3, 2021.
- Fullilove, Linda; Wilson, Robert; Perez, David. School Improvement Plan 2009–2012 (PDF). Hammond High School PLAN Committee 2007–2008. p. 4. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 8, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- "Brief History of HHS: 1915–1930". Hammond High School. Retrieved August 5, 2009.[dead link]
- "Brief History of HHS: 1940–1960". Hammond High School. Retrieved August 5, 2009.[dead link]
- "Brief History of HHS: 1970–1990". Hammond High School. Retrieved August 5, 2009.[dead link]
- "School Snapshot, Hammond High School, 4415". Indiana Accountability System for Academic Progress. Indiana Department of Education. Archived from the original on May 25, 2009. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. IHSAA. Archived from the original on 13 May 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hammond High School (Indiana).|