John "Hal" Perry
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island for|
|Assumed office |
October 18, 2011
|Preceded by||Neil LeClair|
|Born||November 18, 1965|
Alberton, Prince Edward Island
|Political party||Liberal (since 2013)|
Progressive Conservative (2011–13)
John "Hal" Perry (born 18 November 1965) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island in the 2011 provincial election. He represents the district of Tignish-Palmer Road as a member of the Liberal Party. He was originally elected as a member of the Progressive Conservative Party, but left the Progressive Conservative Party and joined the Liberal Party on October 3, 2013.
He was chosen as Opposition Leader on January 30, 2013, following the resignation of Olive Crane, but resigned from that position on February 11 after losing the race for the interim leadership of the Progressive Conservatives to Steven Myers.
On May 21, 2015, Perry was appointed to the Executive Council of Prince Edward Island as Minister of Education, Early Learning and Culture, following Tina Mundy's resignation from cabinet. He was shuffled out of cabinet in January 2016.
Prior to his election, Perry was employed as a property development officer with the PEI Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry.
Perry is a direct descendant of 19th century Speaker of the PEI Legislature Stanislaus Francis Perry.
|2015 Prince Edward Island general election|
|Progressive Conservative||Joseph Profit||818||32.05||-18.01|
|New Democratic||John A'Hearn||81||3.17|
|Total valid votes||2,552||100.0|
|Liberal candidate Hal Perry gained 8.08 percentage points from his 2011 performance running as a Progressive Conservative.|
|2011 Prince Edward Island general election: Tignish-Palmer Road|
|Progressive Conservative||Hal Perry||1,175||50.15||+5.30|
|Island||Derek D. Peters||26||1.11|
|Total valid votes||2,343||100.0|
|Progressive Conservative gain from Liberal||Swing||+5.86|
- "Two In A Row". The Guardian. October 3, 2011. Archived from the original on December 16, 2012. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "Tory MLA crosses floor citing EI concerns". CBC News. October 3, 2013. Retrieved 2016-06-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Perry to step down as Opposition leader". CBC News. February 11, 2013. Retrieved 2016-06-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Liberal Tina Mundy resigns from cabinet: cites 'financial matter'". CBC News. May 21, 2015. Retrieved 2016-06-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "P.E.I. cabinet shuffle: Tina Mundy, Robert Henderson in, Hal Perry out". CBC News. January 7, 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hal Perry out, Tina Mundy, Robert Henderson in after P.E.I. cabinet shuffle". The Guardian. January 7, 2016. Retrieved 2021-03-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Elections Prince Edward Island (4 May 2015). "Provincial General Election - Unofficial Results 2015-05-04". Archived from the original on 2015-05-05. Retrieved 5 May 2015.