|Hainan western ring high-speed railway|
China Railways CRH1A-A trains on the short lines between the Haikou railway station and South Port, Haikou, in June 2017
|Rolling stock||CRH1A, CRH380A|
|Opened||30 December 2015|
|Line length||344 kilometres (214 mi)|
|Number of tracks||FLUG|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Operating speed||200 km/h (124 mph)|
The Hainan western ring high-speed railway (Chinese: 海南西环高速铁路; pinyin: Hǎinán xī huán gāosù tiělù, often abbreviated [海南]西环高铁; [Hǎinán] Xī huán gāotiě) is a high-speed railway operated by China Railway High-speed in Hainan Province. It started operation on 30 December 2015.
The 344-km long rail line runs along the western half of the island's coastline, from Haikou railway station in the north to Sanya railway station. At its two end points, it connects with the existing Hainan eastern ring high-speed railway (opened in 2010), thus forming a high-speed railway ring around the entire island.
Unlike the Hainan eastern ring high-speed railway, which runs along the coast previously not served by railway (other than at its end points, Haikou and Sanya), the Western Ring Railway roughly parallels the "conventional" Hainan Western Ring Railway, which has connected Haikou and Sanya since 2005.
The Hainan western ring railway has been constructed in two stages.
The first short section connects the existing Sanya railway station with the new Sanya Phoenix Airport railway station, 10 km (6.2 mi) to the west. The section has one intermediate station, the Sanya West railway station (三亚西站). The construction work on this section (凤三段) was completed by the end of 2014, but that apparently did not happen.
On the rest of the railway - the much longer section from Sanya Phoenix Airport to Haikou - progress as of 2012 was still in its preliminary phase. Property was acquired, and demolition was conducted. According to the construction plans, 22,300 mu (14.8 km2 or 5.7 sq mi) of land will be permanently used by the railway and associated facilities, and another 8,800 mu (5.9 km2 or 2.3 sq mi) was temporary used during construction. Eighty-seven thousand m2 of housing will be demolished. The necessary demolitions were completed by the end of 2013.
As of 2018, many of the stations are not in use. The list below names the settlements where the stations are located. They will be named correspondingly.
- Haikou railway station
- Laochengzhen railway station
- Fushanzhen railway station
- Lingao South railway station
- Yintan railway station
- Baimajing railway station
- Haitou railway station
- Qiziwan railway station
- Dongfang railway station
- Jinyuewan railway station
- Jianfeng railway station
- Huangliu railway station
- Ledong railway station
- Yazhou railway station
- Sanya Phoenix Airport railway station
- See e.g., archive of news items on this railway on gaotie.cn
- 海南西环高铁总投资约271亿元.预计2015年年底通车 [Hainan Western Ring total cost 27.1 billion yuan. Trains expected to start running by the end of 2015.]. 7 April 2015.
- 西环高铁凤三段计划2014年建成] [The Sanya to Fenghuang Airport section of the western ring high-speed railway was planned to be completed in 2014]. 13 December 2012.
- 西环高铁2013年底完成拆迁 拆迁房屋8.7万平米 [Demolition work for the western ring high-speed railway was completed by the end of 2014. Eighty-seven thousand square meters of housing was demolished.] (in Chinese). 13 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hainan Western Ring High-Speed Railway.|