|Location||First Street, |
|Completed||24 April 2015|
|Inaugurated||21 May 2015|
|Design and construction|
The project was funded by Manchester City Council and the Garfield Weston Foundation. Arts Council England HOME operates under a service contract with Manchester City Council to provide social benefit to the community.
In 2014, filmmaker Danny Boyle became a patron, along with actress and comedian Meera Syal, director Nicholas Hytner, novelist and poet Jackie Kay, filmmaker Asif Kapadia, actress Suranne Jones, artist Phil Collins and visual artist Rosa Barba.
In April 2012, Cornerhouse and the Library Theatre Company announced they were to merge. The project has been overseen by Dave Moutrey, former Director and Chief Executive of Cornerhouse, with Sarah Perks as Artistic Director for Visual Arts, Jason Wood as Artistic Director for Film and Walter Meierjohann as Artistic Director for Theatre.
The Library Theatre occupied most of the basement of Manchester Central Library and was the home of the Library Theatre Company, a Manchester City Council service. The library was built in 1934 and the theatre was originally a lecture theatre that since 1952 had been used by the theatre company. From 2010 the Library Theatre Company began performing at The Lowry. From 2014 it began operating as part of HOME before moving into the arts centre in May 2015.
HOME occupies a site[which?] in First Street, Manchester. HOME has two performance venues - a 500-seat theatre and 150-seat flexible studio space, five cinema screens, gallery space to display contemporary art, café bar and restaurant.
HOME will commission, produce and present a programme of contemporary theatre, film, and visual art. The programme will feature new commissions, international collaborations, off-site and interdisciplinary productions, with an emphasis on innovative visual storytelling and cross-art form collaboration.
- "Manchester arts hub HOME to open on 21 May 2015", The Skinny, 26 November 2014.
- Helen Nugent and Helen Carter, "Cornerhouse and Library Theatre Company in 25m arts merger", The Guardian, 1 May 2012.
- HOME Frequently asked questions
- Jennifer Williams, "The £5.5m grant that will bring arts back HOME to city centre", Manchester Evening News , 3 April 2013.
- HOME Supporters
- "The Guardian view of cultural cities", The Guardian, 16 February 2015.
- Stage New Manchester venue Home appoints Danny Boyle as patron
- Glenn Meads, "Meera Syal new HOME Patron", What's on Stage, 13 August 2014.
- Manchester Evening News: Suranne Jones to be patron of HOME
- David Chadderton, "Suranne Jones and Rosa Barba", British Theatre Guide, 22 May 2014.
- Nancy Groves, "Arts head: Dave Moutrey, director and chief executive, Home", The Guardian , 2 October 2012.
- "Jason Wood is latest appointment at Home", Arts Professional, 30 October 2014.
- Library Theatre Company About Us
- Nicola Merrifield, "New name for £19m merged Manchester arts organisation", The Stage, 28 September 2012.
- Chris Greenhalgh, "Fifteen Fantastic Openings in 2015 That Will Make Manchester Even More Monumental" Archived 2 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine, I Love Manchester, 6 January 2015.
- "Manchester announces huge new culture/arts/cinema space", Louder Than War, 14 January 2015.