Aerial view of HM Prison Thameside.
To the left a section of HM Prison Belmarsh
|Location||Thamesmead, London, England|
|Security class||Adult Male/Category B|
|Population||1232 (as of February 2017)|
HM Prison Thameside is a Category B men's private prison in the Thamesmead area of the Royal Borough of Greenwich, south-east London, England. Thameside Prison is operated by Serco and is situated next to Belmarsh and Isis prisons.
The prison was designed and constructed by Serco and opened on 30 March 2012, becoming fully operational in Autumn 2012, with a capacity of 900. It holds prisoners from courts previously served by Brixton Prison and other prisons in London.
In May 2013, a report by Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Prisons was critical of the levels of violence at the prison and its restricted regime. The report found that there was a high level of assaults and use of force, while 60% of prisoners were locked up during the working day, and some inmates spent 23 hours a day in their cells. However, the report also praised the quality of accommodation throughout the prison.
The prison todayEdit
The regime at Thameside Prison combines work, education, vocational training, accredited offending behaviour programmes, and prisoner health and appropriate interventions. It is a Local category B establishment that can currently hold 1232 convicted and remand male prisoners.
The prison has a baseline Certificate of Normal Accommodation of 932, and an in-use Operational Capacity of 1232.
- "INTRODUCTION". HM Prison Thameside. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Two New Private Sector Prisons To Open | UK Police News". Police Oracle. 2012-03-31. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Action for Prisoners' Families: New prison HMP Thameside opens today". Prisonersfamilies.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Danny Shaw (2013-01-10). "BBC News - Seven prison closures in England announced". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "BBC News - Thameside prison criticised over violence and regime". Bbc.co.uk. 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Welcome to HMP Thameside". serco.com. Retrieved 2017-02-06.