|Launched||October 17, 1997|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment (80.24%, managing partner)|
(HGTV Canada, Inc.)
Discovery Inc. (19.76%)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Slogan||Real Estate. Real Drama.|
|Bell TV||Channel 600 (SD)|
Channel 1600 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 564 (SD)|
Channel 127 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Consult your local cable provider for channel availability|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 271 (SD) Channel 427 (HD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 600 (SD)|
Channel 1600 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 134 (SD)|
Channel 1134 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9306 (SD)|
Channel 306 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 102 (SD)|
Channel 402 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 46 (HD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 112 (HD)|
|STACKTV||Internet Protocol television|
HGTV is a Canadian English-language Category A cable and satellite specialty channel that is owned as a joint venture between Corus Entertainment (which serves as managing partner and owns 80.24% majority control through licensee HGTV Canada, Inc.) and Discovery Inc. (which owns the remaining 19.76%). HGTV broadcasts programs relating to real estate, home and garden design, and renovations.
The network's programming draws primarily from the U.S. version of the channel, but it also carries original, Canadian-produced series that have, in turn, also been picked up for broadcast by the U.S. network, as well as a smaller selection of home renovation programming acquired from other channels in the United States or the United Kingdom.
In September 1996, Your Channel Television Inc., a company majority owned by Atlantis Communications with minority partner E. W. Scripps Company, was granted a television broadcasting licence by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a channel called HGTV-TV Canada, described at the time as broadcasting "programming that presents practical, hands-on advice and instruction about homes and gardens. The programming will revolve around five key themes: building and remodelling, decorating and interior design, gardening and landscaping, crafts and hobbies and special interests."
The channel was launched as HGTV on October 17, 1997. Channels also launched that day were History Television, Teletoon, and Prime, just to name a few. In June 1998, Atlantis Communications announced that it planned to merge with Alliance Communications, another fellow television and film producer and broadcaster, owners of History Television and Showcase at the time, to form a new company called Alliance Atlantis Communications. The CRTC approved the merger in May 1999.
On January 18, 2008, a joint venture between Canwest and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners known as CW Media acquired control of HGTV through its purchase of Alliance Atlantis' broadcasting assets, which were placed in a trust in August 2007.
On October 27, 2010, the channel's ownership changed again as Shaw Communications gained control of HGTV as a result of its acquisition of Canwest and Goldman Sachs' interest in CW Media. Shaw Media has since been subsumed by its sister company Corus Entertainment, who owns the channel to this day.
Noted personalities who have been featured in HGTV Canada programming have included Mike Holmes, Drew and Jonathan Scott, Bryan Baeumler, Chris Hyndman and Steven Sabados, Sarah Richardson, Sebastian Clovis, Scott McGillivray and Damon Bennett, among others.
- "Corus Specialty Services" (PDF). Corus. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Decision CRTC 96-607 CRTC 1996-09-04
- Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc. Reports Increased Revenues And Gross Profit for Third Quarter Ended December 31, 1998 Alliance Atlantis Communications press release 1998-02-24
- Merger creates film, TV giant Toronto Star 1998-07-22
- Decision CRTC 99-106 1999-05-20
- Canwest Global receives final CRTC approval for acquisition of Alliance Atlantis CNW press release 2008-01-18
- Goldman's happy ending at CanWest The Globe and Mail 2010-05-03
- CanWest Completes Acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Investor Point 2007-08-15
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media[permanent dead link]
- CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties Archived 2013-12-20 at the Wayback Machine
- HGTV Launches in High Definition + February Marathons Archived 2012-03-21 at the Wayback Machine, Channel Canada, 2011-02-02
- "HGTV Will Never Upset You: How the Network Beat CNN in 2016". Bloomberg. Retrieved 28 December 2016.