Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Francis D. Lyon|
|Produced by||Robert Bassler|
|Screenplay by||Talbot Jennings|
|Music by||David Raksin|
|Edited by||Robert Golden|
Libra Productions Inc.
|Distributed by||United Artists|
Gunsight Ridge is a 1957 American Western film directed by Francis D. Lyon and written by Talbot Jennings and Elisabeth Jennings. The film stars Joel McCrea, Mark Stevens, Joan Weldon, Addison Richards, Darlene Fields and Carolyn Craig. The film was released in September 1957, by United Artists.
A number of stagecoach holdups have taken place in Arizona Territory. One of them occurs when Mike Ryan, an undercover agent for the stage line, is on board -- posing as a paying customer. Another passenger on that trip is the sheriff's daughter, Molly Jones. During the robbery, one of the two bandits lets his bandana slip, revealing his face, which the coach driver recognizes. Because this outlaw's identity is now known, he is killed by his partner, Velvet Clark. Once in town, Clark assumes the role of a respectable member of the community. When the townspeople become fed up with the crime spree, they call for the resignation of the Sheriff, Tom Jones. He asks to be given one more chance and, once granted, deputizes Ryan. Jones finds evidence that implicates Clark. When confronted, Clark kills the sheriff and escapes with money from a train robbery. It is left for Ryan to track down Clark. The two have a showdown at Gunsight Ridge. During the ensuing gunfight, Clark is killed. Ryan returns to the Jones Ranch and expresses regret to Molly for being unable to prevent her father's murder. At the same time, he reveals that he has been offered the job of sheriff and asks her opinion. When she approves, he announces that he will accept the position, implying the two will marry and settle down.
- Joel McCrea as Mike Ryan
- Mark Stevens as Velvet Clark
- Joan Weldon as Molly Jones
- Addison Richards as Sheriff Tom Jones
- Darlene Fields as Rosa
- Carolyn Craig as Farm Girl
- Robert Griffin as Herb Babcock
- I. Stanford Jolley as Billy Daggett
- George Chandler as Gus Withers
- Slim Pickens as Hank Moss
- Herb Vigran as R.B. Davis
- Kitty Kelly as Mrs. Donahue
- Jody McCrea as Groom
- Cynthia Chenault as Bride
- L. Q. Jones as Lazy Heart Ranchhand
- Morgan Woodward as Tex
- Jim Foxx as Lazy Heart Ranchhand
- Steve Mitchell as Lazy Heart Ranchhand
- Dan Blocker as Bartender (uncredited)
- "Gunsight Ridge (1957) - Overview - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Gunsight Ridge". TV Guide. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Schneider, Jerry L. (2015). Western Filming Locations Book 1. CP Entertainment Books. Page 116. ISBN 9780692561348.
- Fleming, E.J. (2010). The Movieland Directory: Nearly 30,000 Addresses of Celebrity Homes, Film Locations and Historical Sites in the Los Angeles Area, 1900–Present. McFarland. Page 48. ISBN 9781476604329.
|This 1950s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|