|Died||June 28, 1955 (aged 52)|
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Institutions||Schmidt Institute of the Physics of the Earth|
Grigory Aleksandrovich Gamburtsev (Russian: Григо́рий Алекса́ндрович Га́мбурцев) (March 23 [O.S. March 10] 1903 – June 28, 1955) was a Soviet seismologist and academician from Saint Petersburg, Russia who worked in the area of seismometry and earthquake prediction.
Gamburtsev was born on March 23, 1903 in Saint Petersburg, Russia. He graduated from the Moscow State University in 1926. From 1938 onward, he worked at the Geophysical Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences, serving as its director from 1949-55. In 1946, Gamburtsev became a corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences and in 1953 he became full member of the Academy. Gamburtsev developed a new design of seismographs and created their theory. He proposed a new method for the mineral exploration, so called correlation refraction method, and the deep sounding method for monitoring the Earth crust. He died on June 28, 1955 in Moscow.
Gamburtsev received several government awards for his scientific work, including the USSR State Prize (1941), the Order of the Red Banner of Labour (1945), and the Order of Lenin (1953). The Gamburtsev Mountain Range, a range of sub-glacial mountains near Dome A in Eastern Antarctica, was discovered in 1958 by the 3rd Soviet Antarctic Expedition and named after him in the same year; Val Gamburtsev, an oil deposit in Nenets Autonomous Okrug, (part of Arkhangelsk Oblast), is also named for him.
- Институту физики Земли РАН присвоено имя академика Григория Александровича Гамбурцева: Вестник ОГГГГН РАН, № 4(10)'99 (in Russian). Russian Academy of Science. 1999-12-25. Archived from the original on 2007-08-21. Retrieved 2006-12-16.
- ГАМБУРЦЕВ Григорий Александрович (in Russian). Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd edition, entry on "Гамбурцев", available online here[permanent dead link]
- "Deep Seismic Sounding database: 1956 Caspian Sea DSS experiment" (in Russian). Synapse Science Center. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- ГАМБУРЦЕВ Григорий Александрович (in Russian). aswords.com. Retrieved 2006-12-15.
- "20 лет открытию Полюса недоступности Антарктид��: Метеорология и Гидрология. 1979, №3. Гидрометеоиздат" (in Russian). Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute. Archived from the original on 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- Australian Antarctic Data Centre (2000-01-01). "Gamburtsev Subglacial Mountains". Australian Government, Antarctic Division. Archived from the original on 2007-09-20. Retrieved 2006-12-15.
- "Russian Regional Report: Vol. 6, No. 39, 7 November 2001". EastWest Institute. 11 July 2001. Archived from the original on 2007-10-06. Retrieved 2006-12-16.