The awards were started in 1982 when Blair Edgar and Steven Tandy formed the Green Room Awards Association. The inaugural awards ceremony was held in 1984 at the Melbourne Concert Hall. The association today is composed of members of Melbourne's performing arts community, including journalists, performers, writers, directors, choreographers, academics, theatre technicians and administrators.
The current patrons of the association are Rachel Griffiths and David Atkins. Previous winners include Dale Ferguson, David Hersey, Stephen Baynes, Greg Horsman, Eddie Perfect, Laurie Cadevida, Stephen Daldry, Genevieve Lemon, Michael Dameski, Julian Gavin, and Steve Mouzakis.
As of 2013, award categories include:
Alternative and hybrid performance
Several named awards can be given:
- "Panels && Awards". Green Room Awards. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Archives". Green Room Awards. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Bennett, Sally (21 February 2012). "Malthouse Theatre cleans up nominations for Green Room Awards". Herald Sun. Sydney. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "2012 Green Room Award Recipients". Green Room Awards Association. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Named Awards". Green Room Awards. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
|This award-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Melbourne-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|