Grattan Henry Wheeler
Grattan H. Wheeler, Congressman from New York
|Member of the New York Senate|
from the Sixth (Class 1) district
|Preceded by||Latham A. Burrows|
|Succeeded by||John G. McDowell|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 28th district
|Preceded by||John Magee|
|Succeeded by||Frederick Whittlesey|
|Born||August 25, 1783|
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
|Died||March 11, 1852 (aged 68)|
Wheeler, New York, United States
|Resting place||Wheeler Family Cemetery, Wheeler, New York, United States|
Grattan Henry Wheeler (August 25, 1783 – March 11, 1852) was an American politician from New York.
Grattan H. Wheeler was born near Providence, Rhode Island on August 25, 1783. He was the son of Silas Wheeler (1752–1827), a veteran of the American Revolution who took part in the burning of the Gaspée.
Later in the Revolution, Silas Wheeler joined the crew of a privateer. He was captured by the British and jailed in Kinsale, Ireland. He escaped with the help of the Irish Patriot, Henry Grattan. In gratitude, Silas Wheeler named his son after Grattan.
Grattan Wheeler attended public and preparatory schools in Rhode Island. He moved to Steuben County, New York with his parents in 1800, and became a farmer, lumberman and winemaker. The Wheeler family founded Wheeler, the Steuben County town that was named for them.
Grattan Wheeler died in Wheeler on March 11, 1852. He was buried at the Wheeler Family Cemetery in Wheeler.
- Albert Gallatin Wheeler, American College of Genealogy, The Genealogical and Encyclopedic History of the Wheeler Family in America, 1914, Page 170
- Lewis Cass Aldrich, Landmarks of Steuben County, New York, 1896, page 444
- Lewis Publishing A Centennial Biographical History of Seneca County, Ohio, 1902, page 682
- Aldrich, Landmarks of Steuben County, page 42
- The Gazette Company (Elmira, N.Y.), An Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Schuyler Counties in New York, 1895, pages 201-202
- Council of Appointment of the State of New York, Military Minutes of the Council of Appointment of the State of New York, Volume 2, 1901, pages 1588-1589
- The Gazette Company, An Outline History, pages 202
- Weed, Parsons & Co., The New York Civil List, 1858, page 315
- Weed, Parsons & Co., Civil List and Forms of Government of the Colony and State of New York, 1879, page 140
- Duff Green, Journal of the House of Representatives, Second Session, 22nd Congress, 1832, page 4
- Edwin Williams, The New York Annual Register, 1831, page 30
- Hezekiah Niles, Niles' Weekly Register, Volumes 59-60, December 12, 1840, page 229
- Clifford Merrill Drury, Henry Harmon Spalding, 1936, page 23
- United States Congress. "Grattan H. Wheeler (id: W000334)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Grattan H. Wheeler at Find a Grave
- Grattan H. Wheeler at The Political Graveyard
|New York State Senate|
Latham A. Burrows
| New York State Senate
Sixth District (Class 1)
John G. McDowell
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 28th congressional district