|"Got the Time"|
|Song by Joe Jackson|
|from the album Look Sharp!|
|Released||5 January 1979|
|Recorded||1978, Eden Studios, London, England|
|Genre||New wave, punk rock|
"Got the Time" is a song written and performed by the British new wave musician Joe Jackson, appearing as the closing track on his 1979 debut album, Look Sharp!. The song has since been performed frequently in live concerts by Jackson.
In a live performance at Rock Goes to College, Jackson dedicated the song to "anyone out there who leads a hectic life." In the lyrics of the song, Jackson sings of a frantic lifestyle where he is constantly being encountered by new obligations and duties. Musically, the song is a fast-paced rock song with vocals by Jackson. In later live versions of the song (after Jackson split with the Joe Jackson Band), percussionist Sue Hadjopoulos plays a prominent conga rhythm.
The song was first released on Look Sharp!, but it has since seen many other releases. A 1980 live version from the Beat Crazy tour appeared on the live album, Live 1980/86, and a 2004 version appeared on Afterlife. A live version of the song was also released on a bonus CD with Jackson's 2003 album Volume 4. A live form of the song appeared on the compilation album This Is It! (The A&M Years 1979–1989).
|CMJ College Radio Tracks||#11|
|"Got the Time"|
|Single by Anthrax|
|from the album Persistence of Time|
|Recorded||December 1989-February 1990, A&M Studios and Conway Studios, Hollywood / Soundtrack Studios, New York City|
|Producer(s)||Anthrax, Mark Dodson, Jon Zazula, Marsha Zazula|
|Anthrax singles chronology|
"Got the Time" was covered by the American thrash metal band Anthrax on their album, Persistence of Time. This version was also released as a single by the band in 1990. The band's version was cited by AllMusic writer Steve Huey as the "standout track" from Persistence of Time.
Jackson didn't hold Anthrax's version in high esteem. In the June 1991 issue of Q magazine, Jackson remarked: "I think it sounds kind of clumsy compared to the way we did it on the Live album. I mean, our version is really smoking. Theirs is actually slower than ours, and kind of lumpen. The way I feel about it is, Thanks for the royalties, guys."
- Joey Belladonna – vocals
- Dan Spitz - lead guitar
- Scott Ian – rhythm guitar
- Frank Bello – bass guitar
- Charlie Benante – drums
|UK Singles Chart||16|
Other cover versions
- The Donots did a cover of "Got The Time" in 2002.
- Both Beth Thornley and Fabulous Disaster covered "Got the Time" on the 2004 album Different for Girls: Women Artists and Female-Fronted Bands Cover Joe Jackson.
- The Matches recorded a cover of "Got The Time" in 2004. A live version appeared on their 2016 live album Recomposer.
- "'Got the Time' - Rock Goes to College". youtube.com.
- "Joe Jackson Turns Up 'Volume' With Original Band". Billboard. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out With Him?: Palladium (New York, NY), 09/29/1979". Paste Magazine. Wolfgang's Vault. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Huey, Steve. "Anthrax: Persistence of Time". AllMusic. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Official Charts Company". Retrieved 20 March 2015.