|Compilation album by|
|Genre||Folk rock, psychedelic pop, pop rock|
|The Grass Roots chronology|
Golden Grass is the first compilation album by the American rock band The Grass Roots, released in November 1968 by Dunhill Records. The LP's release in the fall of 1968 followed the success of the group's highest charting single, "Midnight Confessions". It featured a song written by Carole King and Tony Stern titled "Lady Pleasure", which was previously unreleased by the group, as well as a new single, "Bella Linda", which was originally written (in Italian, as "Balla Linda") by the Italian songwriting duo of Lucio Battisti and Mogol. The Grass Roots' version of the song, which was given English lyrics by Barry Gross and Steve Barri, charted at #28. Golden Grass is the highest charting Grass Roots album at #25, and was certified gold by the RIAA in 1970.Cite error: The opening
<ref> tag is malformed or has a bad name (see the help page).
Some of the songs included on Golden Grass feature unique touches by arranger Jimmie Haskell. The album showcases The Grass Roots' first two top ten singles, "Let's Live for Today" and "Midnight Confessions", both of which feature trade-off vocals by primary vocalists Warren Entner and Rob Grill. The rest of the songs, save for "Bella Linda" and the previously unreleased "Lady Pleasure", are drawn from the group's previous two albums, Let's Live for Today and Feelings. Among these are two original songs by the band's members. This album concludes the group's psychedelic period and phases them into their soulful transition shown on their following album, Lovin' Things.
The original release of Golden Grass is on Dunhill ABC in stereo. Graphic design and art direction by Philip Schwartz.
- "Bella Linda" (Mogol, Battisti, Barri, Gross) – 2:47
- "Things I Should Have Said" (*) (Sloan, Barri) – 2:30
- "Melody for You" (Sloan) – 2:45
- "Midnight Confessions" (Josie) – 2:42
- "Here's Where You Belong" (Sloan, Barri) – 3:10
- "Feelings" (Coonce, Entner, Fukomoto) – 2:50
- "Lady Pleasure" (King, Stern) – 2:47
- "Where Were You When I Needed You" (*) (Sloan, Barri) – 2:59
- "Wake Up, Wake Up" (*) (Sloan, Barri) – 2:50
- "Hot Bright Lights" (Entner, Grill, Bratton) – 5:07
- "Let's Live for Today" (*) (Magol, Shapiro, Julien) – 2:35