|"Going to a Go-Go"|
|Single by The Miracles|
|from the album Going to a Go-Go|
|Released||December 6, 1965|
|Recorded||Hitsville USA (Studio A): August 17, 1965|
|The Miracles singles chronology|
"Going to a Go-Go" is a 1965 single recorded by The Miracles for Motown's Tamla label. Issued in December 1965, "Going to a Go-Go" peaked at number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States the following spring. In addition, the single peaked at number-two on the Billboard Hot R&B Singles chart and was The Miracles' fifth million-selling record.
The Miracles' original version
Smokey Robinson sings lead on "Going to a Go-Go", which he co-wrote with fellow Miracles Pete Moore, Bobby Rogers, and Marv Tarplin. Moore, Rogers, Ronnie White, and Smokey Robinson's wife Claudette Robinson provide backing vocals for the song, an up-tempo dance song inviting people of all walk of life to attend a go-go party. Miracles Robinson and Pete Moore were the song's producers.In the Motown DVD release Smokey Robinson And The Miracles: The Definitive Performances, Miracles member and co-writer Bobby Rogers commented that this song was inspired by the success of the "Go-Go" clubs that grew in popularity throughout the United States in the 1960s.While at first a regional phenomenon, the success of this Miracles song ignited a nationwide fad for go-go music in America.
"Going to a Go-Go" is featured on the Miracles' album of the same name, which proved to be their highest-charting LP of all-original material. The album reached the Top Ten of the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart in early 1966, peaking at number eight, and reached #1 on the Billboard top R&B albums chart. In 2003, the Miracles' Going To A Go-Go album was ranked number 271 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
- Smokey Robinson – lead vocals, producer
- Marv Tarplin – 12-string lead guitar
- Bobby Rogers – background vocals, co-writer
- Ronnie White – background vocals
- Pete Moore – background vocals, co-writer, vocal arranger
- Claudette Rogers Robinson – background vocals
Other instrumentation by The Funk Brothers
- Eddie Willis – rhythm guitar
- Earl Van Dyke – piano
- James Jamerson – bass
- Benny Benjamin – drums
- Eddie "Bongo" Brown – percussion
- Jack Ashford – tambourine
The Rolling Stones live version
|"Going to a Go-Go"|
|Single by The Rolling Stones|
|from the album Still Life|
|B-side||"Beast of Burden" (Live)|
|Released||June 2, 1982|
|Producer(s)||The Glimmer Twins|
|The Rolling Stones singles chronology|
"Going to a Go-Go" was covered by The Rolling Stones on their 1982 album Still Life. Released as the album's first single, the Stones' version "Going to a Go-Go" reached number 26 in the British charts and number 25 in the United States. Both the single and the album were released in the middle of the European tour of the band in 1982. Other versions of the song are included on the band's Live at Leeds and Hampton Coliseum live albums.
- Mick Jagger – lead vocals
- Keith Richards – guitar, background vocals
- Ronnie Wood – guitar
- Bill Wyman – bass
- Charlie Watts – drums
- Other instrumentation
- Ian Stewart – piano
- Ian McLagan – keyboards, background vocals
- Ernie Watts – saxophone
- The Glimmer Twins – producers
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||16|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||8|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||4|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||3|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||24|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||9|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||26|
|US Billboard Hot 100||25|
- Demitri Coryton; Joseph Murrells (1990). Hits Of The Sixties: The Million Sellers. Batsford Ltd. p. 131. ISBN 978-0713458510.
- Motown/Universal DVD: Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: The Definitive Performances (1963-1987)
- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: The 35th Anniversary Collection. pg. 61. 1994.
- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: The 35th Anniversary Collection. Volume 2: Track 21. pg. 55. 1994.
- "Hits Of The Sixties: The Million Sellers"- by Demitri Coryton & Joseph Murrells (pg 131)
- John Bush. "Going to a Go-Go - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Austriancharts.at – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Ultratop.be – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 6557." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Going to a Go Go". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Charts.nz – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)". VG-lista. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Going to a Go Go (Live)". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Rolling Stones: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "The Rolling Stones Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 18 June 2016.