This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Chris Brown featuring Lil Wayne|
|from the album Chris Brown|
|Released||April 11, 2006|
Criteria Recording Studio
|Chris Brown singles chronology|
|Lil Wayne singles chronology|
"Gimme That" is a song by American singer Chris Brown from his eponymous album. The official remix, co-written by Wayne, Scott Storch and Sean Garrett, features American rapper Lil Wayne and was released as a single, although the remix doesn't appear on the standard version. It was released as the third single from the album in April 2006 and peaked at number 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
In interviews from 2006, Brown considered choosing the song as the second single from his debut album, but the song "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" was chosen as the single instead. Along with that, "Gimme That" was also featured at the end of the "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" music video.
The single version features rapper Lil Wayne, who has since been a featured rapper on each of Brown's future albums.
The music video was directed by Erik White, who also directed the videos for "Run It!" and "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)". It was inspired by the Michael Jackson videos "Smooth Criminal" and "You Rock My World" videos. It was shot at the Los Angeles Union Station in downtown Los Angeles.
The music video begins with Brown walking into the station. After catching the eye of a girl near him, he falls asleep listening to "Poppin'" on his Sony Walkman Bean. In his dream, the station transforms into a 1920s Harlem setting, with him a business man and the girl a rich snobby woman. At the end, Brown and the girl almost kiss but he is woken up by Lil Wayne.
Gimme That debuted at number 80 on the US Billboard Hot 100 on April 11, 2006 and climbed the charts quickly, only to peak at number 15 on June 6, 2006, becoming his first single to miss the top ten in the US and the top twenty in the UK. On November 22, 2017, the single was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for sales of over a million copies in the United States.
Europe CD single
- Gimme That (Remix) (featuring Lil Wayne) – 3:56
- Gimme That – 3:07
Credits and personnel
- Vocals: Chris Brown and Dwayne Carter
- Writers: Dwayne Carter, Scott Storch and Sean Garrett
- Mastered by: Herb Powers Jr
- Assistant engineer: Patrick Magee
- Guitar: Aaron Fishbein
- Mixed by: Brian Stanley and Val Braithwaite (assistant)
- Photography: Clay Patrick McBride
- Recorded by: Charles McCrorey, Carlos Paucar, Conrad Golding and Wayne Allison
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Platinum||100,000*|
|United States (RIAA)
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Gimme That | Chris Brown | Music Video | MTV
- "Gimme That (Europe CD Single)". Discogs.com. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – RADIO – TOP 100 and insert 200629 into search.
- "Lescharts.com – Chris Brown feat. Lil' Wayne – Gimme That (Remix)" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Chris Brown feat. Lil' Wayne – Gimme That (Remix)". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Chart Track: Week 29, 2006". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Chris Brown feat. Lil' Wayne – Gimme That (Remix)" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Chris Brown feat. Lil' Wayne – Gimme That (Remix)". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Chris Brown: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Chris Brown Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Chris Brown Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Chris Brown Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Chris Brown Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "Hot 100: Year End 2006". Billboard. billboard.com. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- "Brazilian single certifications – Chris Brown" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "American single certifications – Chris Brown – Gimme That". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "American single certifications – Chris Brown – Gimme That". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved December 6, 2017. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.