|Gibbs High School|
7628 Tazewell Pike
|School district||Knox County Schools|
|NCES School ID||470222000741|
|Teaching staff||63.00 (FTE)|
|Number of students||1,026 (2017-18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.29|
|Color(s)||Columbia blue, black, and white|
The school was founded in 1913 in a two-story brick building built on 12 acres; it burned down in 1937. The second building burned down 13 years later in 1950. The third and current school is near the intersection of Tazewell Pike and East Emory Road.
When the new Gibbs Elementary School opened across Tazewell Pike in 2007, the high school began using the old elementary school building as an on-site career and technical education facility. Students can also take advantage of expanded career education course offerings at the North Knox Career and Technical Education Center located on the Halls High School campus 5 miles from the school.
Gibbs' current principal is Jason Webster. Assistant Principals are Dana Hall, David Bell, and Jeff Thomas.
- Trevor Bayne, Nascar driver, Daytona 500 winner
- Kenny Chesney, country singer, graduated in 1986
- Ed Hooper, writer and producer, graduated in 1981
- Phil Leadbetter,bluegrass guitarist
- Ashley Monroe, country singer, member of the Pistol Annies
- Morgan Wallen, country music artist
- "Search for Public Schools - Gibbs High School (470222000741)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Gibbs High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 22, 2019.
- "Google Directions". Google Maps. Google, Inc. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- http://www.knoxschools.org, Administration
- "Kenny Chesney". People.com. People Magazine. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Phil Leadbetter". sonifly.com. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
|This Tennessee school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|