|Industry||Retail: Discount stores, grocery stores, and hypermarkets|
|Founded||1944Kuala Lumpur, Federated Malay States (now Malaysia)in|
|Headquarters||Shah Alam, |
Number of locations
|47 store outlet (2020)|
|Teng Family (1944–1999)|
Simon Keswick (CEO)
Howard Mowlem (Chairman/GFD)
|Owner||Dairy Farm International Holdings (90%)|
|Parent||Dairy Farm International Holdings (90%)|
GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (doing business as Giant Hypermarket) is a hypermarket and retailer chain in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia and formerly Vietnam. In 2016, Giant was the largest supermarket chain in Malaysia.
Giant was founded in 1944 as a small grocery store in Kuala Lumpur and expanded with the opening of the Teng Minimarket Centre in Bangsar in 1974. In 1999, Dairy Farm International Holdings bought a 90% interest in the chain, with the Teng family retaining the balance. By 2003, the holding company for the chain had changed its name to Dairy Farm Giant Retail Sdn Bhd, and the chain had eight Giant hypermarkets and 10 supermarkets as well as three Cold Storage supermarkets. Today, the company operates as a subsidiary of Dairy Farm International Holdings Limited and the name was changed to GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
Similar downsize also observed in Singapore with the closure of two stores located at Bukit Panjang and Jalan Tenteram in Whampoa estate, and its VivoCity hypermarket in 2019. It also closed its Parkway Parade hypermarket on 29 February 2020.
In February 2018, the Group disposed of its 100% interest in Asia Investment Supermarket Trading Co. Ltd. (AISTC), operating a hypermarket in Vietnam to Auchan Retail Vietnam, for net cash inflow of US$6.4 million. As such, the Group has exited from supermarket and hypermarket business in Vietnam.
Rebranding in Singapore
On 24 September 2020, Giant announced that it would be undertaking a rebranding exercise, introducing a new logo and new features to its stores. It will also lower prices of daily essentials by 20% average for six months.
- Ubaidillah Masli (23 March 2008). "Bruneians go all out for Giant bargains". The Brunei Times. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Malaysia's Giant Opens First Cambodia Supermarket". Khmer Times. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 22 January 2019.[permanent dead link]
- Quoc Hung (31 August 2011). "Supermarket Giant to be opened in Vietnam". The Saigon Times. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Abdul Ghani Wahab (21 November 2016). "Malaysia Retail Foods Annual 2016" (PDF). USDA Foreign Agricultural Service. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- Ferina Manecksha (13 January 2000). "Giant TMC adopts e-commerce initiative". New Straits Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). Archived from the original on 29 March 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Giant TMC to open ninth outlet". New Straits Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). 16 October 2000. Archived from the original on 29 March 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Company Overview of GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Ganesan, Vasantha (25 February 2015). "Giant partners NS royal family-controlled firm". The Edge (Malaysia). The Edge Financial Daily. Archived from the original on 3 January 2020. Retrieved 3 January 2020.
- Ganesan, Vasantha (20 August 2019). "20 more Giant and Cold Storage stores to close". The Edge (Malaysia). Retrieved 3 January 2020.
- "Tale of the shrinking Giant". The Edge (Malaysia). The Edge Markets. 31 July 2019. Archived from the original on 3 January 2020. Retrieved 3 January 2020.
- Cheng, Kenneth. "Giant's footprint shrinking in Singapore? Hypermarket chain to close VivoCity outlet in early 2019". Today (Singapore newspaper). TODAYonline. Archived from the original on 3 January 2020. Retrieved 3 January 2020.
- "Dairy Farm Annual Report 2018" (PDF). www.dairyfarmgroup.com. p. 102. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 January 2020. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- Nhung, Hong (30 November 2018). "Giant hypermarket becomes Auchan Crescent Mall". vneconomictimes.com. Vietnam Economic Times. Archived from the original on 2 December 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- Stockdill, Robert (1 March 2019). "Dairy Farm Group profit takes a hit from restructure". Inside Retail Asia. Archived from the original on 1 March 2019. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- Tay, Triffany (24 September 2020). "Giant supermarket to lower prices of daily essentials for 6 months by 20% on average". The Straits Times. Retrieved 24 September 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Giant Hypermarket.|
- Giant Malaysia
- Giant Singapore
- Giant Indonesia
- Giant Vietnam
- GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd Company Profile on Bloomberg L.P.
|This Malaysian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|