Gianfranco Bedin (2008)
|Date of birth||24 July 1945|
|Place of birth||Majano, Italy|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Gianfranco Bedin (Italian pronunciation: [dʒaɱˈfraŋko beˈdin]; born 24 July 1945) is a former Italian footballer who played as a box-to-box or defensive midfielder. Bedin began his career with Internazionale, playing for the team for a decade, and was part of their European Cup victory in 1965; he later also played for Sampdoria, Varese, Livorno and Rondinella. At international level, he also earned 6 caps for the Italy national football team between 1966 and 1972.
Born in San Donà di Piave, Bedin is mostly remembered for the club football he played whilst at Internazionale from 1964 to 1974, as a member of Helenio Herrera's highly successful "Grande Inter" squad. He appeared in 211 Serie A matches with the Milanese club, winning three Serie A titles, the European Cup, and two Intercontinental Cups, also reaching the Coppa Italia final, as well as another European Cup final. He would later also play for U.C. Sampdoria (1974–78), A.S. Varese 1910 (1978–79), A.S. Livorno Calcio (1979–80), and San Frediano Rondinella S.S. (1980–81), before retiring in 1981.
Bedin also represented Italy national football team at international level, making 6 appearances for the national side between 1966 and 1972, although, despite his success at club level with Inter, he never represented Italy at a major international tournament.
Style of play
Primarily a ball-winner, Bedin was known in particular for his anticipation, stamina, work-rate, man-marking, and his ability to read the game as a defensive or box-to-box midfielder, which allowed him to support his more creative and offensive teammates defensively. A modern, two-way player, he was also capable of starting attacking plays and getting into good offensive positions after winning back possession.
- "Bedin, vita da mediano "Quando marcavo Pelé e Rivera"" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "GIANFRANCO BEDIN" (in Italian). Storie di Calcio. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Italy - International Matches 1960-1969". RSSSF. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Italy - International Matches 1970-1979". RSSSF. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Nazionale in cifre: Bedin, Gianfranco". figc.it (in Italian). FIGC. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Bedin". interfc.it. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Bedin, Gianfranco". enciclopediadelcalcio.it (in Italian). Enciclopedia del Calcio. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Gianfranco Bedin". national-football-teams.com (in Italian). Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Filippo Nassetti (31 March 2016). "Bagni: "I miei 5 mediani scudettati per 50 anni di Inter"" (in Italian). Panorama.it. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
|This biographical article relating to Italian football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|