BMW used this transmission with M60 V8 models such as the European manual 840i, European manual 740i, 540i; as well as the M62 powered 5 series sedans, and S62 powered vehicles such as the Z8 and M5. This gearbox was also used in the E34 M5, E36 M3, and E46 M3s with the S38B38, S50B32, and S54B32 engines respectively.
For the aforementioned applications there are three incompatible bellhousing boltpatterns: one for 8-cylinder engines (540i, 740i, 840i, E39 M5, Z8), one for the larger S38 6-cylinder engine (E34 M5, only for 1995), and one for the smaller 6-cylinder engines (M3). Bellhousings can be swapped among V8 and L6 engines, however this is not advised, as bearing preload is determined in part by precise case dimensions. Furthermore, the V8 and smaller L6 transmissions also have different output flanges (which can be swapped) and input shafts (which cannot, practically speaking).
Among owners and mechanics, the transmission has a reputation for being strong, quiet, and routinely able to handle considerably more torque than its official rating. However, internal shift linkages are its one known failure point, and neither BMW nor Getrag will provide replacement internal parts (except some shift linkage parts), rebuild instructions, or rebuild service. The only solution to a failed gearbox is a replacement transmission.
- 1996-1999 BMW E36 M3 (Euro)
- 2001-2006 BMW E46 M3
- 1993-1996 BMW E34 540i and M5
- 1996-2004 BMW E39 540i and M5
- 1994–1998 BMW E38 7 Series
- 1993–1999 BMW E31 8 series
- 2000–2003 BMW E52 Z8
- "Part 23001222564 (RMFD-6 Speed Gearbox)". realoem.com. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Part 23007505869 (RMFD-6 Speed Gearbox)". realoem.com. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Part 23007501757 (RMFD-6 Speed Gearbox)". realoem.com. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Part 23001222697 (RMFD-6 Speed Gearbox)". realoem.com. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "Part 23001434507 (RMFD-6 Speed Gearbox)". realoem.com. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "Part 23002229721 (RMFD-6 Speed Gearbox)". realoem.com. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "Getrag 420G interchange info". bimmerforums.com. Retrieved 2019-04-01.
- "HOW TO: E39 M5 trans into E46 non M, must have info for all inside". e46fanatics.com. Retrieved 2019-04-01.
|This article about an automotive part or component is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|