The Earl of Coventry
|Earl of Coventry|
|Preceded by||George Coventry|
|Succeeded by||Francis Coventry|
|Member of the House of Lords|
25 January 1955 – 11 November 1999
|Preceded by||10th Earl of Coventry|
|Succeeded by||seat abolished|
(House of Lords Act 1999)
|Born||25 January 1934|
Wilton Crescent, London
|Died||14 June 2002(aged 68)|
(m. 1955; div. 1963)
(m. 1969; div. 1975)
Valerie Ann Birch
(m. 1980; div. 1988)
Rachel Wynne Mason
(m. 1992; his death 2002)
|Children||Edward Coventry, Viscount Deerhurst|
|Parents||George Coventry, 10th Earl of Coventry|
Nesta Donne Philips
|Alma mater||Stowe School|
Life and career
Coventry was the fourth child and only son of George Coventry, 10th Earl of Coventry (1900-1940) and Nesta Donne Philips (1903–1997). He inherited the title Earl of Coventry at the age of six, when his father was killed in action during the Battle of Wytschaete on 27 May 1940.
He attended Stowe School in Buckinghamshire and Eton College. He worked as stock broker, fashion designer, merchant and director of an oil company. He supported John Major, after joining the Conservative Party in the 1990s. He lost his seat in the House of Lords by the House of Lords Act 1999 and did not compete for one of the remaining seats.
Coventry was married four times:
- He married Marie Medhart on 22 March 1955, the daughter of William Medhart. The couple divorced in 1963.
- He married Ann Cripps on 5 December 1969 and divorced in 1975.
- He married Valerie Ann Birch 29 November 1980 and divorced in 1988.
- Finally, he married Rachel Wynne Mason on 4 July 1992.
He died in June 2002 at the age of 68 years. The title was inherited by his 89-year-old cousin Francis Coventry, 12th Earl of Coventry (1912–2004), because his son of the first marriage Edward Coventry, Viscount Deerhurst had previously died in 1997 .
- George Coventry, 11th Earl of Coventry. Article on thepeerage
- George William Reginald Victor Coventry, 10th Earl of Coventry Article on thepeerage, downloades on 27 February 2014
- House of Lords Act: Hereditary Peers Elections Website Election Demon, downloaded on 27 February 2014
- "The Earl of Coventry". The Telegraph. 20 June 2002. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- Coventry, Earl of (E, 1697) Article on Cracroftspeerage, downloaded on 27. February 2014
|Peerage of England|
| Earl of Coventry